Tuesday, May 31, 2011

We have Mebira!!

I'll be quick because we're just putting Mebira to bed. 

We visited our sponsor child this morning - a really neat experience.  I'll update more on that another time.

We went to visit Mebira at 3 today.  She was very shy at first.  She looked at us and sat by us but wouldn't speak or even answer yes or no.  We gave her a stuffed animal to play with, and had a book of letters with us.  We tried to talk with her and speak some Amharic, and played with the stuffy...after a while she started warming up.  She looked at the letters and said all of the alphabet...she had the odd letter mixed up, but she did very well!  She had a bit of a snack and we played a bit more...after about an hour or so Sister Hannah asked if she wanted to come with us and she said yes!

The driver was unavailable so we decided to walk back.  It was so fun and would have made a great picture.  It was only a 10 minute walk or so, and we each took one hand and jumped her over the puddles.  She is so heavy - she's completely solid and probably weighs as much as Grace.  I'm not sure if we'll need a car seat and can probably just go to a booster!

When we got here we spent quite a bit of time in our room.  We had brought various toys with us and she loved them.  She jumped from activity to activity, but definitely played with each one for a bit.  We went and did some chalk outside, and she spelled out the whole alphabet up to U on her own!  Then we had some supper (she downed a ton of steak - I couldn't believe it!), and now we have her in bed.  I think she thought I was crazy when I brushed her teeth, but she let me do it. 

We were so happy to be able to call home and talk to the girls and Mebira said a few things on the phone.  I think I will be exhausted by the time this week is done, but it is going so well!

Ruth, I saw your kids today (I hope it's OK I say that...they poked their heads out) - they are so cute and looking good and healthy!  Gwen, we went to Kaldi's the other day and had two awesome juice drinks in your honour.  :-)  I have to go see how they're doing upstairs...I'll try to write a bit each day but our time is full watching her!


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that your first day together went well!!! I love reading your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of COURSE it's ok to say that you saw my kids!!!! If you have more to say about them go for it!! BUt thanks so much for sharing that!!!!

    I'm glad things have started well with Mebira, Anita. How exciting a time.

    Many blessings,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome news! Angie

    ReplyDelete