Friday, May 20, 2011

2 steps forward, 1 step back, 2 steps forward...

Yesterday was a bit less encouraging of a day for Dad. They tried taking out his respirator in the morning and he was able to talk (which is amazing and great!), but he was having trouble breathing so they put it back in and then had to sedate him for that. He spent the rest of the day sleeping, and even when the sedative wore off he was still mostly asleep. While I was in there with him I did get a squeeze or two when he woke up, but he would be asleep again 10 seconds later. Sleep is a good thing for him, though. It is good that he is able to rest and heal.

Today he was sleeping quite a bit as well, but after about an hour he woke up and was very alert. The nurse did an assessment on him, and he was able to move his right side quite a bit - his left side is still not very mobile at all. Once his hands were free (unfortunately they have to keep the hands tied down so the patients don't rip out the breathing tubes, etc.) he made a writing motion. I immediately ran and got Brenda (mother-in-law) as he was so alert - the most we had seen yet. They figured out he wanted his glasses and that he wanted to write something. As expected, the writing didn't turn out so well, but they brought out a board with the alphabet on it and he spelled out L-O-V-E to Brenda. SO sweet and so amazing that he can think and spell and remember. In total, he was awake for about a half an hour (a new record since Tue, I'm sure), but once he was able to communicate his love back, he fell asleep again.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for him. With the breathing tubes in he can't communicate, and he didn't even know why he was in the hospital at first or what had happened. We are able to go in there and hold his hand and tell him that we love him...but he hasn't been able to do more than squeeze our hands. Today he was able to pass his love on...and we can't wait for more and more communication from him.

Thanks for your continued support and prayers. People have been so kind as to drop off food for us - I really don't know where I'd be without you (Doreen, Sandy, Mom!). I am almost done wrapping up work...and when I am I will finally start thinking about packing for Ethiopia. Only 5 full days left before we go...and I almost have nothing done...Oh well, I'm taking things one minute at a time...and that is enough for now.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry your family is going through this, Anita, especially at a time where you should be excited about your trip. It's encouraging that he can think and is trying to communicate! How sweet of him to let Brenda know, even in his state, that he loves her.

    I hope you can get everything done that needs doing. Wish I lived closer so I could come help out!

    Take care,

    Claire

    ReplyDelete