Monday, May 30, 2011

Back from Soddo

Hi - we are so tired today.  We had a long but beautiful drive to Soddo yesterday.  We left at around 8am, and arrived around 3:30.  We were hoping to go find the spot where Mebira was born yesterday, but due to numerous factors we weren't able to do so and needed to wait until today.  We went for supper (had some Ethiopian Tibs and injera), then read and barely stayed awake until 9.

The hotel was nice, and we managed to have power while we were awake - it went out during the night during a big storm, but didn't affect us much.  We had water, too...just not hot water.  I kept waking up through the night and then forced myself back to sleep numerous times...I finally thought I had slept enough, was wide awake and asked Arvid for the time...it was 4am!  After a long time of tossing and turning we slept again only to be awakened by our shrill alarm.

At 7:30 we got in a 4x4 car and headed to the place where Mebira was born.  It would have been a 20-30 minute drive but we had to keep asking for directions on the way.  We finally found it and had a very amazing time there.  I will leave the details of this time private and will let Mebira share what/when she wants about her past.

After a nice coffee ceremony and popcorn we hit the road by about 11:30 and just got to the guesthouse around 6:30.  We are exhausted.  It feels like we just drove to Fairmont for the evening and drove back again today.  :-)

The countryside is absolutely gorgeous in Wolayta.  It is so lush and beautiful - reminds me a lot of Maui.  I will post more details on that when I can attach pictures once we're home!

Tomorrow we visit our sponsor child and then go to see Mebira in the afternoon.  Friends of ours who are here picking up their kids when to visit them today - and the kids immediately wanted to come with them...so we may have Mebira with us tomorrow already!  Until then....

4 comments:

  1. Anita,
    So glad to hear you had a good time! It IS exhausting, but so beautiful! Did you love the beds?!
    I would plan on Mebira going with you tomorrow, Wubalem wanted to come with us, as well as the other little girl that was being picked up, left with her parents the first day as well, seems to be a trend with the older kids.
    BTW, Wubalem is always pointing to Mebira's picture!
    Praying for you this week, and also for Arvid's dad!
    Flora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to know that your trip to Sodo when well. Have a wonderful day meeting with Mebira tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow!!! Yay!!!!! I can't wait to see photos of you all!!! So exciting, Anita!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for all of you!

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete