I am so excited to post that we saw Mebira today. After waking up at 4 in the morning and lying there for a few hours we had a nice breakfast and then went shopping. I got some fun souvenirs and enjoyed the hot weather.
Then, at about 3 we were picked up to go to KVI Orphanage. It was only a 5 minute drive away and I was a bit nervous before we got there, but mostly felt kind of numb. I have been dreaming about that day for so long, yet when it actually came it was totally surreal. We pulled into the compound and then they brought all of the older kids out to see us. There were about 15, ages 4-13. We brought some bouncy balls, bubbles and balloons to play with them and it was a bit overwhelming when this onslaught of kids came as soon as we opened the bag. It was hard to keep track of who was who, and some ended up getting 3 while others didn't get any, but it seemed to work out in the end.
Anyway, I'm getting off track here. We didn't recognize Mebi at first. She looked different than her referral pictures, but still so cute. She is quite dark (typical for the Wolaita area she is from) and has looser curled short hair. She is a bit shy and stood back from the group a bit. We weren't allowed to physically interact with her (no hugs, holding hands, lifting her up) but because we brought the toys it was a great way to play with her. We bumped balloons back and forth with numerous kids, and had some almost one on one time playing with Mebira. She has a beautiful smile and giggled a bit. She is so sweet and I wish we could have just taken her home right then. She is thin (but no thinner than G&E were at that age) and is a bit taller than my waist.
At the end we were given a tour of the facility, and right at the end Mebira came all by herself and grabbed my hand. I had to let go after a few steps, but it was so special to have her come right up to me and do that.
We are feeling a bit more optimistic about court on Friday...we really appreciate your thoughts and prayers, especially in the next 36 hours as that is when the MOWA recommendation letter needs to be written. I'll post more on Friday, hopefully with good news about court!
Then, at about 3 we were picked up to go to KVI Orphanage. It was only a 5 minute drive away and I was a bit nervous before we got there, but mostly felt kind of numb. I have been dreaming about that day for so long, yet when it actually came it was totally surreal. We pulled into the compound and then they brought all of the older kids out to see us. There were about 15, ages 4-13. We brought some bouncy balls, bubbles and balloons to play with them and it was a bit overwhelming when this onslaught of kids came as soon as we opened the bag. It was hard to keep track of who was who, and some ended up getting 3 while others didn't get any, but it seemed to work out in the end.
Anyway, I'm getting off track here. We didn't recognize Mebi at first. She looked different than her referral pictures, but still so cute. She is quite dark (typical for the Wolaita area she is from) and has looser curled short hair. She is a bit shy and stood back from the group a bit. We weren't allowed to physically interact with her (no hugs, holding hands, lifting her up) but because we brought the toys it was a great way to play with her. We bumped balloons back and forth with numerous kids, and had some almost one on one time playing with Mebira. She has a beautiful smile and giggled a bit. She is so sweet and I wish we could have just taken her home right then. She is thin (but no thinner than G&E were at that age) and is a bit taller than my waist.
At the end we were given a tour of the facility, and right at the end Mebira came all by herself and grabbed my hand. I had to let go after a few steps, but it was so special to have her come right up to me and do that.
We are feeling a bit more optimistic about court on Friday...we really appreciate your thoughts and prayers, especially in the next 36 hours as that is when the MOWA recommendation letter needs to be written. I'll post more on Friday, hopefully with good news about court!
Oh wow! It makes me so sad to think that you are so close and can't hug her. How sweet that she came to you to hold your hand! I love it! Will be thinking of you and hoping you pass court so you get that one on one time and hugs!
ReplyDeleteClaire
Wow, it's so amazing that she did that! Praying for all of you!
ReplyDeleteSandra
Thinking of you!! I saw that another 2 families passed court today, so hopefully your letters will be written and all your docs will look good to them!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!!!!
CLaire
Oh,my heart! I loved that your daughter reached up for your hand! Thank-you for sharing your experiences.
ReplyDeleteWishing you all the best for court Friday.
Kelly DTE Oct.15.08
Dear Anita,
ReplyDeleteYour mom just sent me this link and i love readng it! Praying for you and your family - here and there!!
In our Great GOD who says to you Isaiah 41:10 " So do not fear i am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your GOD. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand"
love pam sly