Hi everyone - we are in Lalibela right now. We left the guesthouse at 5:00 am (I'm seeing way too much of 4 and 5 am on this trip, I remember before we left I thought 6:00 am was bad!) in order to catch our flight to Lalibela. The plane was surprisingly big (a Canadian made Bombardier) and the flight itself only took about 40 minutes. The weather here is really hot and sunny. Once we checked into our hotel (Jerusalem Guesthouse) we looked at the rock-hewn churches. They are truly amazing - words can't do it justice so I will try to attach pictures when we get home. We had a lunch break and rest, then went to see the second set of churches. There is such a rich biblical history in each of the churches - pictures depicting so many stories from the bible, and the design of the buildings also reflect stories.
We finished our tour around 4, and after doing our email we will watch the sunset from our balcony (the views here are so beautiful, we are up on a mountain overlooking the valley below), have a quick supper at our hotel and then have an early night.
Tomorrow morning we leave for Gonder and will look at the ancient castles there. Even though the flight is about 30 minutes and we're not checking bags, they want us at the airport 2 hours early. I think we'll be tired of airports by the end of this trip!
Although we are SOOO sad we didn't pass court (my eyes filled with tears just as I thought of it again) we are happy to be able to see more of the country and learn of the rich history. At home, 100 years seems old...the churches we saw today have been estimated at being constructed in 1100 AD, and some of them possibly even 800.
Anyway, the sun is going down...we will have a fun Valentine's Day celebration sunset!
We finished our tour around 4, and after doing our email we will watch the sunset from our balcony (the views here are so beautiful, we are up on a mountain overlooking the valley below), have a quick supper at our hotel and then have an early night.
Tomorrow morning we leave for Gonder and will look at the ancient castles there. Even though the flight is about 30 minutes and we're not checking bags, they want us at the airport 2 hours early. I think we'll be tired of airports by the end of this trip!
Although we are SOOO sad we didn't pass court (my eyes filled with tears just as I thought of it again) we are happy to be able to see more of the country and learn of the rich history. At home, 100 years seems old...the churches we saw today have been estimated at being constructed in 1100 AD, and some of them possibly even 800.
Anyway, the sun is going down...we will have a fun Valentine's Day celebration sunset!
Lalibela is THE place I want to see the most. Can you give me some travel tips? How was the hotel? What is the cost of flights, rates of rooms? I saw a travel program and the female was not allowed in the church. I am hoping that was one specific one, and not all, because if I went there and could not go in, I'd be devastated!!!! Would love to pick your brain about it!
ReplyDeleteClaire