Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dreaded Documentation

Last week we received some unfortunate news about our documents. We've had to frantically update things since we received the referral. Unfortunately, the last thing we had to update (marriage and birth certificates) are now newer than our statutory declaration (list of documents) which is notarized, legalized and authenticated at the embassy. There's a chance (I really hope it doesn't happen!) that the ministry in Ethiopia may not like this (really, it's not like we changed our birthdate or marriage date!) and may request us to send everything to the embassy again, for another $300 and another delay.

I was a bit down about this last week...but then decided that it's out of my control and there's nothing that I can do about it (or could have done). A friend I've met on our online adoption community is in the same boat and expressed exactly what I was feeling on her blog. She's given me permission to post it here - thanks Ruth (I've edited it slightly to match our situation)!

It's going to be OK. Maybe not on February 11th, but it's going to be ok. As desperately as I want to pass court while we're there, as much as I want to hear the judge grant us the right to parent Mebira, as devastated as I'll feel if we don't pass on the first try...it's going to be ok.

Here are two thoughts to consider:

1. God is in control. As my mom wisely told me last week, He already knew that this wrinkle was going to materialize, and He's already got it figured out. Nothing can happen that is counter to His will. So I can relax.

2. God is in control. If we don't pass court while we're there, there is no doubt that we'll be very disappointed...it will change the trajectory of our trip, and have a number of implications for our second, pick-up trip, bringing the girls, etc. But you know what? We'll deal with it and get over the disappointment, or at least reconcile ourselves to it, and we will prepare ourselves for a longer wait until we get through court. I have a deep and abiding sense of peace that we will pass court...whether it's the first time or not. God provided the way to Mebira; he will be faithful.

If I want to be a person of faith, then I need to choose to live my faith now. Now, when it matters. It won't mean a lot if I say this after we pass court. It's easy (well, easier), afterwards, to say that I believed God would be faithful to the plan I believe He gave us for our family. I want to go out on a fragile limb of faith and say now that I believe God has a plan for our family and that it was He who provided everything in this adoption. I choose to rest in the knowledge and belief that He will see it through to completion.

So whether we pass court or not, I still believe that God has a plan and is good...all the time.

Having said that, we appreciate your prayers and support over this time. The Ministry of Women's Affairs (MOWA) needs to review our documents before our court date and could be looking at them any day now. We pray that this latest bump would not be an issue at all, and that we would pass court and be able to have a real visit with Mebira while we're there.

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to following your trip and your experience in Ethiopia. I will be hanging on to every word!
    I like your faith,I will keep you in my prayers as your court date approaches.
    Kelly DTE Oct.15.08

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post really encouraging as, while we aren't about to head in to court, this most recent policy (the declaration - and the 4 wks waiting for it) has possibly slowed our realizing a referral.
    Your thoughts and reminder of God's sovereignty was so encouraging.
    Praying for your family.
    Ashleigh

    ReplyDelete