Monday, October 31, 2011

First Snow

OK, I don't ever remember a year where we haven't had snow permanently on the ground by October 31st. And this year WE HAVE NOT EVEN HAD A SKIFF YET! Poor Mebi is begging for snow every day. I usually look at the forecast, see no snow and say that maybe in another week we'll have some snow. I think I've been saying that for about 40 days now!!

Yesterday was a beautiful, +12 degree day so we decided to go for a walk. We parked our car at the local ski hill and were so thrilled to see that they had already started to build a snow base! We walked carefully on the frozen sidewalk (the shady parts had ice and Mebi was quite interested in sliding on it) and then we went to the snowy field. It was pretty packed down, but was still exactly like snow! FINALLY we could show her what it would be like. She wrote her name in the snow, and had a blast throwing some snowballs. She wanted to take the snowballs back in the car...I'm not sure she's figured out that they will all melt. :-) I usually dread the first snow, especially driving in it, but this year I just can't wait for that day!

After playing in the snow we went for a beautiful fall walk. The girls had a great time with our scavenger hunt. If we distract them, they can actually walk quite far. And we always bring along little candies like smarties so that they get one smartie when we pass a certain milestone (for us it was every time we crossed a bridge). The girls had a blast looking for the biggest leaf, prettiest leaf, most interesting leaf, smallest and largest pinecone, berries, flowers, most interesting stick, etc. It was a great day and we absolutely loved it.

Here are a few pictures of our day...

(Below) She got this shirt and headband from her cousin (thanks, J!), but she didn't quite put the headband on right. I think she liked covering up more of her hair like many Ethiopian women do, so we just went with it. :-)

(Below) Walking carefully on the ice
(Below) Touching the snow - it's cold!
(Below) Writing her name in the snow
(Below) Making a snowball.
(Below) First snowball complete. Ready, aim...FIRE!
(Below) We had a snow kicking fight with Dad. We did girls against boys. Good thing there are four girls and one boy. :-)
(Below) Our nature scavenger hunt.
(Below) We are blessed to have such beautiful walking trails in our city.

3 comments:

  1. So cute! Just wait until the real snow comes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an awesome family afternoon. At least g will finally have someone else in the family who likes winter too!!! Love b:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we continue to have spectacular weather and the kids are dying for snow! Instead, they're outside playing right now and it's about 10 degrees and beautifully sunny - only hoodies are required!

    Anyway, I'm glad you've been enjoying a little snow - it must be so exciting to see it for the first time EVER!!

    Blessings,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete