I feel bad admitting it, but I used to absolutely dread mealtimes. Our bio girls don't love to eat, so we are constantly having to encourage them to eat something. (Which, I admit is the opposite problem we're having with Mebira.) Plus, we found they would often get hyper at supper and would talk nonsense so loudly that Arvid and I could hardly hold a conversation. If we thought having two kids was loud, having three kids has more than doubled the noise. And when you add the laughter from the funny things Mebira says (she's a bit of a clown and loves attention) then it can be a recipe for disaster. Plus, the kids would often be up and down getting a different utensil, cup, ice, napkin, you name it. Arvid and I used to eat as fast as we could and then immediately head to the living room for some peace and couch time.
Well, I'm happy to say that things have TOTALLY turned around for us. We've started a new sticker chart (more on that on another post) where they are awarded stickers for certain chores or behaviours. Once they have enough stickers they can choose screen time (DSi, Computer, etc.) or a small candy. And, as you can imagine, one of the ways they get a sticker is for good mealtime behaviour.
The other (best) thing that we have started is question time. At supper, we each take a turn asking a question. Each person answers the question and then the next person asks a question. Some of our favourite questions have been: "If you could travel anywhere right now where would you go?", "What's your favourite Christmas song/number/colour/letter/place to swim/taste/dessert/fruit/supper/condiment, etc." Miraculously, this has completely transformed our dinner hours. We now look forward to it and learn something about each other in the process. We each take turns talking and enjoy listening to everyone's answers, and we always make sure that we ask something that Mebira can answer, or we modify the questions for her.
Arvid and I have also wanted to be more intentional about sharing our faith with our girls (aside from the daily devotionals we do) but haven't been sure how to go about it in a natural way. Tonight, we asked the questions "What's your favourite bible verse and why?" and "Aside from Jesus, who is your favourite bible character?" and it has been really interesting to hear their responses and share our thoughts as well. Every answer Mebira comes up with has to have a baby in it, somehow. It has become a family joke now to guess how she will manage to bring the idea of a baby into the answer. Tonight, of course, she decided her favourite bible character was Moses...as a baby. :-)
We'd love help with this. If you have any questions, spiritual or just for fun, we'd love to try them out!
I'm glad it's going better for you. Yes it does get noisy with three girls talking non stop. I have two tricks you can try. I also dreaded mealtimes because I had to plan, prepare then listen to everyone complain and bribe them to eat! We gave everyone a " night" where they get to choose the dinner. We plan the weeks meals on Sunday so I can get everything Monday. The only stipulations are : it has to be something mom can cook ( ie not mcd's). Two people can't choose the same thing in a week ( or we'd have tacos every night). And it has to have a meat and a vegetable. ( it has to be relatively healthy). You would not believe the difference this has made. I was shocked at the great meals the kids chose and even if they don't like it they eat it with little complaining cause they know their night is coming up. The other syategy I have (I know this is a bad one). If they are hyper and we need to have. Quiet conversation we'll ler them watch tv while they eat. It is such a rare thing that the silence is golden! We'll have to try your question thing. Although at thanksgiving I asked them all what they were thankful for and their answers were " everything". " everything" and "carrots"( guess who?). Love b:)
ReplyDeleteLove love this!! SUch a great idea..I love the idea of 'question time'..I find that everyone is SO EXCITED that daddy gets home (right on time for supper) that at times I have thought we should go back to "children seen and not heard'..NOT REALLY, lol..but yes, some order to the conversation might be nice, just so everyone isn't stepping on top of each other in their excitement. :) Great idea.
ReplyDeleteAlso love that you want to be even more intentional in sharing the Lord with the girls..cool! We are right with you there--thanks for these great ideas.
and oh...we love couch time.;)