The girls are at school and Arvid is at work. I must admit that it feels really strange to be here by myself with just Mebi. She's being great this morning - we played play dough, then she played alone while I cleaned the kitchen and now we're outside and she's jumping on the trampoline and going down the slide.
Yesterday was a really good day, with a really hard part mixed in. We decided to do some errands in the morning since we need to get going on her name change, Alberta Health Card, etc. I thought I should do her hair before we left. She wasn't keeping her hairband in so her afro didn't look as cute anymore. We put on her Amharic Sesame Street DVD and I sectioned it into little pony tails all over her head. We all thought it looked soooo cute!
Mebi did really well on the errands - she loves being out and about and is curious but quiet while we're out. She also loves going in the car, but we do have to battle her in the car seat a bit.
We decided to send the girls to school in the afternoon and since it was almost time to send them, we stopped at McDonald's for lunch. What is it about McD's? It is universal - every kid loves it no matter where they are from! :-) I remember going there with friends who adopted from Haiti, and their son loved it right from the start, too!
Anyway, the girls went to school and Mebi did pretty well with us. We went to Costco (she "made" me pick out corn on the cob and nuts, and she also pointed out some avocados) and then came home for a bit. After school the girls played SOOO well together - on the trampoline, bubbles, Barbies, it was so heartwarming and I was so happy. I started making supper and then the wheels came off the bus. It was crazy. She had major tantrums for at least an hour. It was one battle after the other, and the worst part is that she ripped all of the elastics out of her hair. I was so mad! I tried not to make an issue of it, because that will be her weapon to use every time she's mad if I do, but still! It looked so cute and I was hoping to leave it in for a while!
We had supper (spaghetti with a healthy dose of berbere sprinkled on top, and corn on the cob), battled a bit more and then she was good as gold again. I have no idea what that was all about...she just seems to want to fight sometimes, but when she's good she's great. Bed time also went much better...she slept from about 8:30 to 6:45...now if only we could stretch that out a bit later... :-)
Anyway, I will sign off for now...I'm never sure if people are interested in these posts anymore now that we're home, but I've heard a few of you are still reading so I'll keep going for a while. :-)
I read all your posts Anita. I gives me an idea of what to expect when my time comes. Hang in there and before you know it, she will be used to you guys and used to your routine. Blessings on your family.
ReplyDeleteElsie Hiebert
Keep posting, I'm totally eating it up!!! :) Hang in there. I know how you feel, truly. Remember that the tantrums and rages are horrible but necessary. We have one who rages, another who suppresses... and the child who rages is attaching far, far better than the one who suppresses. Better out than in!
ReplyDeleteYou're in my daily prayers. Email me any time! :)
The behaviours probably make sense to her even though to you, they may come out of nowhere. It's been really interesting now that our kids have been home for so long to hear some of the things that they thought about when they first came to Canada. They have been able to articulate to us some of how they were feeling back then and one thing that struck me is that Sedaya recently told us that she used to think that if she was really bad, we would send her back to Ethiopia, so she purposely misbehaved. That admission explains a lot!!! Thankfully, she is so sweet, that her version of "bad" isn't all that bad!
ReplyDeleteHang in there! It gets so much easier and communication accounts for a lot of it.
I don't know if you have ever traveled anywhere for a long period of time where you didn't speak the language, but it is physically and emotionally exhausting trying to work so hard all day to understand little tidbits here and there, so she is probably really tired too, which could account for some of why she tantrums.
Please continue!!!!
ReplyDeleteI love your posts Anita and you guys are doing such an amazing job. Even her changes in a few days are evident!! Stay strong and patient. Try to put yourself in her shoes but stick to your plans! You are doing so super. I am amazed at your strength and perseverance through this journey. Remember there will always be something with the kids... At least they're not teens yet! Oh then we'll really have our hands full. Much much love, Brandi:). Ps. It's fun to comment!!!!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy reading your blog Anita. Please continue to tell us what happen with your family.
ReplyDeleteI'm interested! Keep posting!
ReplyDeleteI would also chime in to say that if she has any sort of fear of abandonment, her random tantrums make total sense.
By the way....you are totally amazing!
~Dawnelle
Oh, please continue! It is fascinating, delightful, and thought-provoking for those us who are only beginning to consider this process. Your sharing is greatly appreciated!
ReplyDeletePlease continue to post. I love reading everybody posts. I'm just waiting for Briahna bubble to burst. Everything is going to good!!! I want to be ready for when the honeymoon period ends. This way, I can seen what everybody else is doing!!!
ReplyDeleteAnita! It is so exciting to read about you being home!! I am so glad that things are going well!! Especially that she seems to be getting along with the girls.
ReplyDeleteWe notice, with Wubalem, pretty much whenever we go out with her, that we usually have a tantrum or rage either later that day, or the next day. For that reason, we are really limiting where we take her right now...I think it is all still too overwhelming! And with no language, sometimes it's hard to pick up on her "cues" when we can't ask her how she's doing, and don't know her well enough to see when she's done...although, we are realizing that when she suddenly become quiet or withdrawn, that is a big one, or when she become crazy hyper-active...that's another one.
Anyway, you'll figure it out! But keep blogging. It's so great to read!