We are definitely ready to come home. Today was good, but Mebira is starting to test the limits a bit more. It's hard to focus on obedience when our attachment is so fragile and when she doesn't understand what we want and can't communicate what she wants. We are letting her get away with some things here...it will change gradually when we're home. She really copies other kids and I'm hoping she'll copy the girls when we're home (and that they're a good example for her!).
We leave from the guesthouse in 5 hours to the airport, wait for 3 hours, then have 27 until we're home. It's going to be killer long. I am not too stressed at this point...even if it sucks I know we will be home at the end and we'll be DONE! I have a bit of stomach issues, though, and am hoping it settles before we hit the plane...or that we're close to the bathroom! :-)
Mebira has been interesting with Arvid lately. She doesn't want him to do anything for her, but it seems to be her way to flirt. She'll scream "No!" in Amharic if he pushes her on the swings, for example, and says, "Mommy!" but she'll often do it with a little smile. It's almost like she's playing hard to get with him. She napped this afternoon and is a bit more happy and open to him so that's good.
I gave her a shower this afternoon. It was a new experience for both of us. I got some special shampoo here as I've been told she has scalp fungus (can't see it, though), and then used the Hello Hydration Conditioner. We took the braids out first and her hair looked more straight and fuzzy. After the shower it sprung up into the cutest little ringlets - adorable! The cook here braided her hair and I hope it lasts for 3-5 days. Her hair is very soft (there were no knots at all!) which is great for combing, but also means that the styles don't seem to last as long.
We'd appreciate continued prayers for the last leg of this journey. Mebira tends to shut down a bit in new circumstances...so I am sure the next few days will be really hard for her. Plus, everyone here keeps hyping up the airplane...I'm sure for an adult it's cool, but it will probably be a big disappointment for her. :-)
Looking forward to coming home and introducing her to everyone!
We leave from the guesthouse in 5 hours to the airport, wait for 3 hours, then have 27 until we're home. It's going to be killer long. I am not too stressed at this point...even if it sucks I know we will be home at the end and we'll be DONE! I have a bit of stomach issues, though, and am hoping it settles before we hit the plane...or that we're close to the bathroom! :-)
Mebira has been interesting with Arvid lately. She doesn't want him to do anything for her, but it seems to be her way to flirt. She'll scream "No!" in Amharic if he pushes her on the swings, for example, and says, "Mommy!" but she'll often do it with a little smile. It's almost like she's playing hard to get with him. She napped this afternoon and is a bit more happy and open to him so that's good.
I gave her a shower this afternoon. It was a new experience for both of us. I got some special shampoo here as I've been told she has scalp fungus (can't see it, though), and then used the Hello Hydration Conditioner. We took the braids out first and her hair looked more straight and fuzzy. After the shower it sprung up into the cutest little ringlets - adorable! The cook here braided her hair and I hope it lasts for 3-5 days. Her hair is very soft (there were no knots at all!) which is great for combing, but also means that the styles don't seem to last as long.
We'd appreciate continued prayers for the last leg of this journey. Mebira tends to shut down a bit in new circumstances...so I am sure the next few days will be really hard for her. Plus, everyone here keeps hyping up the airplane...I'm sure for an adult it's cool, but it will probably be a big disappointment for her. :-)
Looking forward to coming home and introducing her to everyone!
Hi Anita,
ReplyDeleteSame thing happened with me with Briahna. Hana pointed out some fungus on her head and I kept asking where. After the 4th time, I pretended like I saw it and she gave me some antifungal cream. I had her checked when I got home and nobody can find anything, so if it is there, it can't be that bad!! lol Have a great trip home!!! Hope you feel better!! I know how it feels to be sick on the plane home.
Nicole, Bobby, Jasmine and Briahna