Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First day done

Well, we have completed 24 hours with Mebira now.  It went really well, and we're very happy.  She is still pretty shy with us - she won't talk much but seems content.  Her favourite toy is a little black Strawberry Shortcake character doll from Brandi.  She has spent hours playing with it.  I gave her a comb, and she has been combing, parting, combing...and this morning she decided to braid the whole head with little braids.  It is amazing how well she does that - and she has done it probably 4 times since then.  As soon as we come back in the room she goes straight for the doll and combs and braids. Maybe I can get her to do her own hair?  I'm a bit stressed about that...they braided her hair nicely before we got her but it's already starting to come out and get fuzzy!

The night went OK...she took a while to fall asleep.  I shared a bed with her and Arvid slept in a separate bed.  She was very restless through the night - she was sleeping perpendicular to me for most of the night and kept kicking me!  I didn't sleep more than about 5 hours, but she was mostly asleep from 9-5:40.  She whimpered a bit this morning, but I just stroked her back and gave her the doll and we were good to go.

We did a bit of shopping this morning and then took the kids to a playground.  I have never seen a kid run that fast and hard (she reminded me of Ethan, Sandy!).  She hasn't had a large area to play in before, and was able to run on grass, and try out all of the equipment and swings.  She can swing all on her own and went on the slide over and over and over.  She is pretty good at doing things but has no fear so we have to keep a close eye on her.

This tired her out quite a bit so we went back and had lunch and then put her down for a nap.  She was asleep within about 5 minutes and slept for 2 hours (we had to wake her up).  Tonight we did a mini shopping trip with Kids-Link Solomon and went out for Ethiopian food.  Yesterday Mebira barely ate any of her supper - we had to feed her bread and spaghetti and she barely ate any, although she did eat quite a bit of Arvid's steak. This morning, she ate a bit more (french toast) and she went to town on the fruit bowl.  For lunch she ate even more - fish and rice, but wow...we could not believe how much she ate tonight.  She stuffed that injera, spinach, doro wat, etc. in her mouth like it was her last meal.  We were almost concerned she might throw up, but she was enjoying herself so much we just let it go because that could be her last Ethiopian meal in a while.

She has been quite good with both of us.  She is still quite quiet, but is generally obedient.  Today she had a few hours where she only wanted Arvid and I struggled a bit.  I was the one who studied Amharic for hours, barely slept last night, played with her with dolls and stickers all day....I knew this could happen as she has had so many female caregivers in her life and to have a man pay her attention is probably a novelty, but it was still hard.  Thankfully, after a few hours she was happy to come to me again.

It has been hilarious to see her with Drew and Liesl's girls, though.  She totally comes out of her shell and laughs and talks non-stop.  I wish she was that way with us, but it will take time.  At least we know she has it in her.  :-)

Anyway, I'm pooped so I will head to bed.  I'll try to update this once a day until we're home.  We are really looking forward to being in our own home again!

2 comments:

  1. Nicole, Bobby, Jasmine & BriahnaJune 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM

    Anita,
    So glad that everything is going well. Sleep situation is the same with Briahna. She moves a lot and whimpers all night even though she is sleeping. In E, I had to move her in the crib once she fell asleep (I know that is not an option for you) or else I would not sleep at all. Tell Drew and Liesl we said HI!!! It'll be so great once you get home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethan says he want to race her when she gets home :) We are sooo happy it's going well! Sandy

    ReplyDelete