We have now been with Mebira for 2 weeks and 1 day. This week so far has gone so much better and I'm LOVING it! She seems to understand most of the rules now, and is actually generally abiding by them! She also doesn't run away when I say no to something, and she is being much more affectionate, offering up spontaneous hugs and kisses.
We had her international adoption appointment yesterday. She has scalp fungus (very common in kids from Ethiopia) which we're treating with a topical cream, and now we get to get a ton of blood work done on her, stool samples, urine analysis and immunizations. It's not going to be fun, I'm sure, but it's ultimately for her benefit.
We went out for Ethiopian food last night after her appointment. She seemed to enjoy it, but refused to talk to the Ethiopians there. She wouldn't even look at them. I don't know if she was afraid she would be taken back to Ethiopia, or what was going on, but in any case she didn't want anything to do with them. We told her we were going to an Ethiopian restaurant, and I think she thought we were in Ethiopia...she was probably wondering why we went on two long flights home when we could have just driven for 30 minutes to the north side. :-)
The sleeping is still going OK. We've still kept the girls separated, and I still sit with her at night until she falls asleep. I generally rub her back with one hand and do my Beth Moore bible study with my other hand. At first I was dreading that time, but it's actually nice now. The only problem is that I would like to work out or go for a walk at night, but once I've sat with her until she falls asleep I am totally done. I'm generally very active in the summer and my clothes are all one size smaller in the summer than winter...but since we've been home I'm just not able to keep up with exercising. I hope to get back into it again but am trying to cut myself some slack since there is only so much I can do! So if you see me squeezed into a pair of shorts, just bear with me. :-)
Mebira is such a girly girl. She loves playing with dolls, dressing up her Barbies and she's totally into Princesses. We have some princess books and princess things, but the girls don't give it much attention. It's amazing how those princess things just draw Mebira like a magnet. She tries to name them every few hours...she's got Cinderella and Snow White perfect, and is working hard on Jasmine, Belle, Mulan, Aurora, etc. :-)
Anyway, we're going to have supper soon. Thanks for taking the time to read this...I'm always humbled and touched by the thought that people read this in the midst of their own chaos. Don't forget to post the odd time - I LOVE comments! :-)
It is so awesome to hear things are progressing so quickly. A true testament to your parenting!! savor and enjoy any moments of peace that you can. She is such a beautiful and smart girl. Just keep up the amazing job you're doing. And keep posting! I was going crazy waiting since Sunday! Wishing you continued days of smiles,hugs and " yes mommy". Love b:)
ReplyDeleteWe have been home with Mekuria for almost a month. There are a lot of ups and downs as you know!!
ReplyDeleteHe also will not speak to Ethiopians. Ever since the moment we returned to the guest house in Addis he has refused to speak to Ethiopians. He would get very upset when they spoke to him. One night it caused to to cry himself to sleep. I too was thinking he was afraid we were going to leave him with them.
I am glad to read that today was a good day!
alicia
Love reading your posts - keep the coming...helps me see where I'm headed a week or so from here...I hope!
ReplyDeleteGlad things are going better!!!
R