Friday, April 6, 2012

Movies

We've made a conscious decision to be more selective in the movies we watch. Too often Arvid and I would watch movies that were violent or had immoral activity and I don't think it's good to fill your mind with things like that. Unfortunately, movies these days (that comment officially makes me an old person) are not exactly filled with uplifting material. I am always looking for good movie choices, so if you have some ideas I'd LOVE your recommendations.

Here are a few highlights of movie choices in the last few months:

- Desert Flower. Although this movie has some parts that might be inappropriate, it is an interesting movie based on a true story of a poor Somalian woman who managed to make it to London and ended up as a supermodel and is now the UN special ambassador for the elimination against female genital cutting. The actress in the movie is a gorgeous Ethiopian supermodel, and portrayal of the every day life in Somalia is very similar to some (more Muslim) parts of Ethiopia.

- Jesus movie. For the past few weeks we have been watching a few minutes each night of a Jesus movie. It has been a really neat thing to do together this Easter season. Reading the story from the bible is great, but watching a bit each night has really enhanced our Easter season and conversations. Unfortunately, I would like to get a more biblically sound version next time, like the actual Jesus movie. I picked up this DVD we're watching at Superstore and I think they've added a little bit too much fiction to go with it.

- The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. We enjoy all of the Narnia movies but this is the one that we watch the most. It is our Easter tradition to watch this movie every year as the parallels to the true Easter story are amazing. We watched it together last night and kept pausing it to point out areas where Aslan is like or says something like Jesus.

-Soul Surfer. In case anyone hasn't seen this one yet, it is an amazing true story of courage from a teenage surfer who has her arm bitten off by a shark yet continues to surf after the accident. As you may know, I watch Biggest Loser while on the elliptical and I was thrilled a few weeks ago when the contestants went to Hawaii and met up with the soul surfer herself - Bethany Hamilton. The movie also stars Helen Hunt, Dennis Quaid and Carrie Underwood. I happen to own it if you live close by and want to borrow it. :-)

I'm sure there have been other movies but those are the ones I can think of right now. I'd love your movie recommendations...there's nothing better than sitting down after a long week, putting your feet up, eating some freshly popped popcorn and watching a good movie.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, we try to stay away from immoral and violent movies as well. A good source for videos about the life of Jesus is at http://www.lds.org/bible-videos?lang=eng They have a bunch of short Bible videos of Jesus' life based on the King James version. What I like about them is that they are solely based on scriptural reference (no fiction), and they are very well done, very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jacquie. I'll have to check that website out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also try to keep our children away from violent and inappropriate movies and tv. As for suggestions I have none. We live on Barbie movies and high school musical. :) love b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, B. You are very good at monitoring what your kids watch - I really appreciate and respect how well you parent your kids.

    I find that with the kids it's not so hard...there are so many family options out there with fairly good content. The issue I have is with "adult" movies. We love suspense movies but they are getting so gory and violent. And I love romantic comedies but sometimes they are so crude or have so much sleeping around.

    Maybe I'll do your plan and just stick to PVR'd shows. :-)

    ReplyDelete