OK, so I LOVE Costco. Like anyone else who has a Costco membership, I find that I can go in for one item and come out having spent $150. It happens every time. This particular week I went in for a few items and came out having spent $900. Granted, $650 of that was for a computer, etc. but still! My mom tends to go to Costco every week so if I only need one thing I will often just get her to pick it up for me so I don't end up buying extra things. She has gone the past few times for me so it was really time for me to go and stock up on a few things, hence the large bill.
Some people have asked me if I've noticed people staring at our family now that we are multicultural. I know several adoptive friends who often get approached and are asked inappropriate/rude/probing questions. To be honest, that has almost never happened to us...it has happened but is not a usual occurrence. I don't know if it's because I usually have G and E along with Mebira when I'm out and about and if people just assume she's a friend...or if I just don't look very approachable, but generally people just look at us once or twice and go on with their business.
Anyway, as much as I love Costco, there is one issue that I keep having. Mebira and I will often go to Costco without G and E, and Mebira generally likes to walk and not sit in the cart. A highlight for the kids (and, well, me) is eating the samples. I picked up a yummy jalepeno yogurt dip yesterday...but I digress. As you may know, Costco has a rule that the parent needs to be there in order for the child to have a sample. I have a pet peeve about people stopping in the middle of the aisle, oblivious to everyone else around them and enjoying their sample while causing a huge traffic jam of carts behind them. I, conscientious person that I am, will pull my cart to the side out of the way, however, I am always still within touching distance of Mebira. Often I will even say, "Mebira, would you like to try this sample?" And twice now, people have stopped Mebira from taking her sample and said, "Where is your mom?"
Really? Just because we don't look the same, could the fact that I have just given her permission, am hovering over her and watching her every move to make sure she doesn't fish through a million samples to take the best one, could that not be a bit of a clue that if I may not be her biological mother, that I could be her adoptive mother, or guardian or babysitter at the very least? I know policies are policies, but it has put us in an awkward position a few times and frankly, I'm a bit snarly when it happens.
Obviously, I will need to make it really clear in the future. Perhaps I should hug and kiss her and hold her hand while we walk up to the table and then say, "Mebira, loving daughter, would you like to try that sample? Mommy says it's OK"
Sorry...just had to vent. :-)
Anita,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! It's really no ones business whether you have a child born with wings or perhaps 2 heads, extra beautiful, or a child we have through adoption. People are so closed minded and tend to judge others wo are different. Maybe they are jealous of you because you have 3 wonderful girls. You've given Mebira a wonderful home and an opportunity to a great life!