I've been back to work for 1.5 weeks now. I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with how well it's going. I enjoy the work and the time flies by while I'm there. And Mebira has adjusted super well...to be perfectly honest, I don't even know if she has noticed. Since I'm only working 12ish hours, I do the majority of the work while she's at school, and my mom watches her for one afternoon a week. During the afternoon that my mom watches her they do painting and pottery and crafts and read books and bake and colour...I'm surprised she wants to come home at all. :-)
I have definitely noticed that I have 12 fewer hours each week...and my house is the first thing to show it. However, we all (fortunately or unfortunately) have a pretty high tolerance for mess so I can't say it stresses us out too much.
Last week I still managed to work out four times, bake muffins, cook home cooked meals each day (including trying out two new recipes), have a quiet time (every?) day, and stay on top of groceries and laundry. So it actually felt like I got most major things accomplished. The other thing that I noticed is that I appreciated the kids a lot more. The first day at work was really tough and I did shed a few tears. However, nothing beat coming home at the end of the day and having their big welcoming hugs and kisses. It also seems like we had more quality time together last week than some (many?) of the weeks that I had not been working. It's funny how I often feel like I'm with the kids all the time, but the time isn't really quality time unless I'm intentional about not turning on the computer, texting, reading a book or magazine, etc.
OK, off to make supper and then to AWANA...
I'm glad your first 1.5 weeks have gone so well Anita...I've been waiting and wanting to hear about it! I'm amazed that you still managed to do all of those other things at the same time...I just can't seem to pull it all together like that, and I'm not working outside the home!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm glad everyone's adjusting so well!!!
Blessings,
Ruth
Thanks, Ruth. I really should learn not to worry...I spent so much time worrying about it and it's gone so much better than I originally thought. Don't be hard on yourself - you have adopted siblings and I only adopted one (and a really adaptable one)and I wouldn't even dare to attempt something like apple fritters. :-)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations. You survived week 1 AND you kept your balance!!! I know that as long as you don't have unrealistic expectations of yourself it will continue to go well. Keep it up!!! Love b:)
ReplyDelete