Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Shopping day!

After many days of travel, visiting sponsor kids and the long trip to Soddo, and after we had recovered on Sunday it was finally time to do some souvenir shopping.  We had attempted to do some earlier in the week but because G got sick we had to cut it short and buy supplies for the orphanage instead.  This time we were able to just shop for us and it was a lot of fun (for the 5 females of the group, anyway).

We left the guesthouse at...you guessed it...7:30 am.  (Am I the only one who thinks that's ridiculous to do on vacation?  On a weekday at home I'm just barely awake at that point!)  Anyway, we first went to the pottery place - I knew my mom and the girls would be interested to go there as they make pottery together at home.  We were a bit too early so only one person was working, but it was still amazing to see how she would take the clay and turn it into a pot.  It looked like it was done by a machine and not by hand!  We bought a few things there to take home (I hope they survive) and then moved on.

Monday was the day before Christmas in Ethiopia...Christmas Eve, I guess.  It was very busy out, but I was surprised that school was still in session and most people still worked until mid afternoon.  The craziest part was the amount of animals out for sale.  Christmas is a big deal, and families all seem to purchase a live chicken (sold at various spots on the road) for doro wat, and a sheep or goat.  We drove by just herds and herds of animals and it was a common sight to see people carrying a live chicken (bound), or to see a pick-up truck with an animal tied up in the back.  Even our guesthouse owners have a live goat ready to go in their courtyard.  I think I'd rather brave Costco on Christmas Eve (which I did) than go pick up a live chicken or goat to cook up.  Wow.

Anyway, after the pottery place we drove to HIV women's cooperative where they make baskets and beaded jewelry.  They had some pretty neat jewelry made of coffee beans.  The highlight here was watching the basket weavers.  I couldn't believe how slow and tedious the process is to make a basket and how little you get for it.  (We bought a huge injera basket at a different market for about $10 and that would have taken days to make.) We also watched the women there make jewelry, although having some experience with that from home it wasn't quite as fascinating as the basket making.

We were making great time and stopped at the Misrach center for the blind and disabled.  The store sells items made by the blind or disabled, and it was fun to pick out little wooden items and cards.  Not only is it fun to buy, but the proceeds go to a good cause and it is very reasonably priced.  The kids would ask me for something at these stores and the answer would almost always be yes - a rare treat for them!

The previous stops all had set prices, but our next stop was the market by the post office, which involved a lengthy bartering process - especially when the owner of the store saw that we were "ferenji" - foreigners.  The post office shop area is where we bought the majority of things on our previous trips, so I knew what to look for.  The girls had fun buying some small trinkets for their friends, some small decorative items for their rooms, and M bought a few more scarves for herself.  We bought an Ethiopian painting, as well as our injera basket.  It was ideal shopping - the girls and I and my mom would walk in a store, pick things out, then leave Marcos, our guide (to barter), and Arvid (to pay) and we would go into the next store and repeat.  Arvid didn't love this day, but because the prices are reasonable and our suitcases returning home are nearly empty, he didn't argue.

We stopped next at a silk scarf place, however, were disappointed not to be able to see the silkworms as we had hoped.  Things were either shutting down due to the holiday or due to lunch.  We had already purchased so many scarves so elected not to buy any here.

Marcos had to depart early so we dropped him off and then went to a much needed lunch at the Lime Tree.  They advertise that everything is safe for foreigners (vegetables are washed in proper solutions, etc.) and I was so happy to finally eat a salad.  I ordered pasta and a salad and a fresh juice (mango-orange) and everything tasted soooo good.  It was the best meal I've had on this trip.  We also ordered coffee (I had a delicious cappuccino) and some chocolate cake.  The cake looked better than it tasted but it was still a fun treat.

OK, one more thing before I sign off.  Our last stop was to a shoe store where they sell sandals made from old tires.  The treads of the shoes are made of tires. I had once bought some like this in Mexico and the tread was actually a big tire tread - they were rough and heavy but kind of fun.  Well, these shoes were nothing like those - they were all so beautifully made.  This store just made sandals, and another store sold closed-toe shoes.  We went to the sandal one because Arvid needed some new sandals.  It turned out that he didn't like the style (he doesn't like anything between his toes) but the girls and I had a great time trying on sandals.  Unfortunately, I have a wide foot, and wear an 8.5 or 9 so I was very limited in my selection - I guess I have much bigger feet than the dainty Ethiopians.  We walked out of the one store that Arvid wanted to see, and he walked out empty handed while the girls and I each got a pair.  My only regret about leaving Ethiopia is that I didn't have time to go to the tire shoe store where they sell closed-toe shoes.  Oh well, I'll keep it in mind for the next trip.

Thanks for following along - here are some pics (they may be out of order because we used a few different cameras)!!
The clay at the pottery place, it is brought in, then mixed with water here and turned into masterpieces.

The oven where it is fired

Making a pot

The finished pot before firing

Some items in the store

Cotton, hanging and ready to be made into traditional clothing

Our van - we spent MANY hours in here!  The seats were covered in animal fur/hide.  When we stood up we always had little bits of fur on us.

Some of the many animals ready for Christmas Day slaughter.

Basket making at the HIV center - amazing!

Jewelry making at the HIV center, some of these will make it to the US

At the post office market

Our driver, Married, with the girls.  What a great guy - so happy to have met him!

For a city of approximately 3 million there are very few traffic lights, however, there are more than the three we spotted on our last trip!

Mmmm....Lime Tree for lunch!

Buying chicken at the side of the road

Making tire shoes

Coffee at the Lime Tree (out of order, sorry).

Mmmm...coffee and cake!

G enjoyed her "unlimited lime juice"

Trying on shoes

E and M enjoyed sitting at the front for the last few stops.

Saying goodbye to Married - he got the girls each a pencil and necklace, and us a keychain.  So kind!

Successful shopping trip!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing all the photos and stories. It looks like everyone did amazingly well for all the adventures you encountered! Can't wait to hear more when you get home! Praying for safe travels.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing all the photos and stories. It looks like everyone did amazingly well for all the adventures you encountered! Can't wait to hear more when you get home! Praying for safe travels.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what I call rustic shopping. But so cool how everything is handmade there. Not from a Chinese factory!!! I'm glad you were able to have another enjoyable day in addis. V wants to know why e is in the same jeans and sweater all the time when she's in Africa!!!! Lol. Miss u. Safe travels to London. Love b

    ReplyDelete