Hi all. Yes, this is my third post of the day, but we are leaving for Soddo in the morning and I won't be updating until we get back and will have much to post about at that point, I'm sure.
Thanks for those of you who are commenting/emailing - your support and readership means a lot. One question I'm getting a lot is about the girls and how they are adjusting. Our girls are girly girls. Even M, who lived in a grass and mud hut until she was 4 now complains when we go camping without full hookups. We knew it was a risk to take them to Africa, and we've had a few challenges, but I am amazed at how well they are doing and taking it all in.
I'll try to remember some of the comments that we've heard so far from them:
- There aren't any bugs here - I thought there would be bugs everywhere (E)
- I thought there would be spiders in every corner and I haven't even seen one (G)
- It's so nice here but also hard to see all of the poor people (M)
- Everyone stares at us (G, E, M) x 100. It's a bit unnerving, but I think we have only seen about 3 other white people this whole trip, so there aren't many of us around so of course we're interesting to look at. When you take into consideration that there are 5 white people, with an Ethiopian, and that 2 of the white people are kids (how many white kids are in Africa really?) it's no wonder that they stare. I think the girls are all used to it now and don't mention it anymore. E and M now make a game out of it and wave at everyone in sight when we are driving - they always get big waves and smiles in return (and the odd hand cupped, asking for money)
- It's too hot here! (G only) On that note, it is probably about 22 every day. When the sun is behind the clouds or there is a slight breeze it's actually a bit chilly (for me), but when the sun is out it is intensely warm - especially in a hot van with 9 people, no AC and stuck in traffic. We were in the sun for only a few minutes a few days ago, and Arvid got a burn on his neck (except for a nice white stripe from the camera strap) :-)
- I really liked seeing our sponsor kids and meeting the families (G, E, M)
- We've started to compile a list of things we are thankful for from home: Secure home, large home, furnace, A/C in cars, good showers/baths, snow (G only), paved and safe sidewalks, brushing teeth with tap water, eating raw veggies and dairy products (we're trying to be extremely careful, especially since we are spending so much time in cars), paved roads almost everywhere, jobs, education, healthcare, bathrooms, toilet paper, Costco...we'll keep adding to this list and will also come up with a list of the things we appreciate about Ethiopia.
I'll give a special section to M, as this is the first time she's been back since the adoption. We noticed some behavioural changes before we left for Ethiopia due to the trip (and Christmas, I'm sure). It manifested itself in nervousness and hyperactivity. Since we've gotten here she has settled down a lot. She is extremely shy, though, and interacts with the locals much less than G and E (and they are also shy). She feels a bit shy and unsure, although she said that she likes looking like everyone else. I think it is all a lot to take in - and I would imagine that smells and sounds and music would bring back memories, or at least a feeling. She is happy and doing well, though and is very thankful that we've come to Ethiopia. Tomorrow will be the big test as we go to Soddo and visit her home village. Please pray for a great reunion with those she still knows there - that God would grant her peace and much joy and that the visits would go well.
I may be offline until we return - but it may take you that long to read all of the posts anyway. :-) All the best to those of you at home and Happy New Year!
Happy New Year Schimke family! I pray your trip goes well and look forward to reading all about it!
ReplyDeleteKristina Stianson
Thanks for te glimpse into the girls minds. So much for all of you to take in. And yes. So much to be grateful for. We all miss you so much but know that this journey will be life changing for your family. Stay safe. T, v and p say hi to the girls. Love b
ReplyDelete