Monday, December 30, 2013

We made it to Addis!

Wow.  What a tough few days this has been.  We flew through the night last night (I doubled my sleep this time from 30 minutes to 1 hour) and arrived in Addis this morning at 6:40 am Addis time (3:40 am London time, 8:40 pm Edmonton time).  I'm not sure what time it feels like right now to us...all I know is that we are super tired.

We are staying at the GT Guesthouse and it's awesome here.  We have a three bedroom suite, 2 bathrooms, large family and dining area and kitchen.  It's nice to be back in Ethiopia again - the weather is about 20 today.

Arvid and I went to the bank this morning to exchange money - the largest currency you can get here is the 100 birr bill - which is the equivalent of about $5.  So you can imagine the wad of cash we walked out with, stuffed into various pockets. 

We thought of staying up today but it was just too hard so the adults napped this morning.  The kids did well all day but are fading fast right now.  It's just about supper time and I can't wake G from the couch.  She is so out of it!

We went for a walk to Kaldi's coffee this afternoon (an Ethiopian Starbucks knock off) for great coffee and smoothies and snacks, and also got some fresh fruit at a "Supermarket" down the street.

The rest of the day we have zoned out and are just trying to make it to bedtime...hopefully we will wake up happy and refreshed tomorrow for a day of shopping!

I'll try to upload some pictures tomorrow.  The network is really slow right now for some reason.  Tomorrow is a shopping day and then things will start getting interesting as we travel to visit sponsor kids for 2 days and then visit M's birth village.  Until tomorrow...

Arvid has come down with a bad cold now...being sleep deprived doesn't help.  Hopefully we can all sleep well and feel like ourselves again.

3 comments:

  1. May God bless your trip in every way (and refresh your energy too!)
    We're thinking of you -
    Margaret and Ted

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in our thoughts and prayers! LB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you made it. Once you all get a good solid sleep you will all feel better. The weather sounds lovely. You should see it here. Blah!! I'm glad for you that you have some familiar favorites there....your smoothies and the buna!!!! Remember your kids will feed off of your energy. Stay strong and positive. Take good care of yourself-your family needs you. I'm thinking of you every moment and missing you a lot. Love b:)

    ReplyDelete