We have been trying to make our own Ethiopian food for awhile but just haven't gotten it right. Injera has been the most intimidating thing...we were just too afraid to try it.
At our last Amharic language classes the wife of the instructor was kind enough to show us how to make a few recipes, so we thought we would try it again. Although it didn't turn out perfect, it was actually pretty good. Mebira was super excited to eat it, and had it for a few days afterwards as leftovers.
The one thing we haven't figured out yet is doro wat. This is my favourite Ethiopian food but we just can't make anything close. If you have some recipes that you'd like to share I would love to try it again.
In case you don't have a good injera recipe, ours uses 1 cup teff, 2 cups all purpose flour, 1 cup oat flour, 1 tsp yeast. Mix that together and add hot water until runny (a little runnier than pancakes). Let sit on the counter for 6 hours, then pour a thin layer into an electric frying pan at 350.
 |
| It actually had those bubbles - I was thrilled. Our instructor told us to salt the pan first...let the pan sit with lots of salt on it, then remove the salt. We don't know why, but somehow this seems to help the injera turn out better. |
 |
| Our version of a wat. It was actually butter chicken since we have pretty much given up on doro wat. |
 |
| This is Mebira's favourite dish, although she said we still didn't get it quite right. We'll try again... |
 |
| The rolled up injera, ready to go. |
 |
| Our Feast - butter chicken, red lentils, shiro, and spinach. Yum! |
This looks delicious! I would love to come help cook sometime!
ReplyDeleteHi there - this is my doro wat recipe which is reasonably authentic. And yummy. :)
ReplyDeletehttp://boltupright.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/mmm-doro-wat/
Thanks so much - I will try this next time!
Deletealso, try this gomen recipe... http://theberberediaries.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/recipe-gomen-collard-greens/
ReplyDeleteThanks for this, also. It is definitely different than I have tried so far so maybe that will do the trick!
ReplyDeleteGood for you!!! I've tried Ethiopian food 3 times, and have striked out 3 times!-LOL!!! Don't know if I should try again. I like that your injera only has to sit for 6 hours instead of DAYS!!--HAHAHA!
ReplyDeletelooks amazing... =D I need to learn to make injera.... I didn't know the Amharic classes were still going... when are they?
ReplyDeleteJoni
Yes, they're still going about once a month...would love to see you there again!
Delete