Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Happy Hair Day!!

Life has been pretty busy lately with going back to work and just managing life in general.   Plus, I started back at GE on contract again and have over 80 dwgs to modify by Friday.  Needless to say, I've been putting in some late nights working once the kids are in bed and tonight will be the same.

The highlight of my week so far was this afternoon.  I took Mebi to a lady who put extensions in her hair.  She charged $70 and did an AMAZING job.  Now, to some of you, spending $70 on hair for a just about six year old may seem like a lot.  It was actually my Mother's Day present to myself and you'll see why soon.  :-)

My weekly hair routine for her takes me anywhere from 1.5-3 hours.  It is taking longer and longer to detangle, and she usually needs a new style every week or she turns into the fuzzy wuzzy bear.  If I put yarn braids in her hair it can take me anywhere from 6-8 hours until I am totally done, whereas this only took the hair stylist 3.5 hours.  (I actually tried to include the video I took but I think the file is too large...I can't believe how fast she can braid.  Arvid thought it was on fast forward when I showed him and then he said her hands look like little spiders!)

The biggest bonus is that I won't have to do hair for at least 2 months now which is perfect timing...especially in this busy season.  And when I figure out that I worked on my drawings the whole time Mebi got her hair done it just seems like a no brainer.

Well, without further delay I will include some pictures...



A "before" picture...she's holding a beautiful painting she painted for me for Mother's Day
During...she sat and watched movies and was happy as could be for over 3 hours.  The scalp is more obvious on her head with the flash on...it's not this noticeable in person.

This picture scares me a bit.  Doesn't she look old?  It feels like a flash to the future.

So cute from the back, too.
What a gorgeous girl!  :-)

11 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! It looks like she's quite pleased with the results too. How did they finish off the ends? Two months is awesome!! I also seem to only get a week out of hair before it just looks too fuzzy. I'm getting together with my adoption friend this Sat. and one thing I'm going to pick their brains about it hair products. Maybe I'm just not using the right ones. I love your posts!
    ~Liesl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liesl. I'm hooked now and it will be a tough sell for me to go back to doing hair again! :-) To finish the ends she braided the hair into about five big sections. Then she dipped them in hot (had just been boiling) water for a few seconds. She let them dry for a minute or two and then unbraided those five big sections and voila! Next time I'm going to get her to thread the ends instead of putting them in big braid sections...they end up with little spirals on the end that way. So cute!

      Delete
  2. That is so worth it! I may have to get that name from you. It was great to meet you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure I'll give you her contact info. Feel free to send me an email via facebook. She was super nice.
      I enjoyed meeting you as well and seeing you and your family in person after so many years of following your blog!!

      Delete
  3. Love it!!! She looks great! And I agree it was worth every penny. Love b:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they look wonderful! Mebi sure does look much more grown up! Time is flying by!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OKAY, WHAT??? That is SO AWESOME. It looks amazing, definitely worth the cost! You've convinced me.... did you buy the extensions or did the stylist provide them? And do you know what kind she used? Wow, I'm totally sold on trying this with Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the best part - I should have mentioned that. She INCLUDED the cost of the hair and had quite a few different colours to choose from so I think she got it just right. She gets her hair from Nigeria but I think she sells it if you want me to order some for you. Or you could just come for a road trip!!!

      Delete
    2. that looks amazing and yes she looks much older. What a beautiful girl. How are you going to keep the boys away with your 3 gorgeous girl?

      Delete
    3. oh Anita, I love it.... she does look older.... but equally beautiful. did Lois do this.... looks like her perfect hand =D her rates are fantastic as well..... 2mths is amazing... i will be joining that club....hee hee....
      Joni

      Delete
  6. oh I love it....She looks amzing like always, yes older...but equally beautiful....she looks like she is loving it.... thinking i might be joining this hair club =)... did you go to Lois, i have heard amazing things about her....looks fantastic...

    ReplyDelete