Things I find harder about three:
- Honestly, just getting used to it is hard. I am finally, (FINALLY!) remembering to set the table for five instead of four, but still mess up sometimes if we're having other families over. I often do the math really quick in my head...we have two, they have two, that's four kids. Whoops! Thankfully no one has caught on to this yet and I can usually slide another plate on without too much attention. :-)
- Shopping, walking, being out...I am blessed to have three girls who love me and always want to hold my hand/sit by me, etc. Unfortunately, as I only have two hands someone usually gets left out. When we're sitting on the couch watching our latest favourite show together (Canada's Got Talent) we have a simple solution - one on my left, one on my right and one on my lap and they rotate each commercial break. :-)
- More relationships...no longer can I just separate the two girls or have them work it out. Now if there is an issue there are so many more dynamics involved...this girl feels left out, etc. Instead of there being 12 relationship dynamics to keep track of (my relationship with each member of my family and each of their relationships to the other members in the family) there are now 20 relationship dynamics to keep track of. And if you include the dynamics of doubling up (G&M vs. E), it gets even more complicated!
- Traveling, eating out...the world really is made for a family of four. Tables in fast food restaurants, hotels, etc. are so much easier to find when there are only four!
- Keeping track of field trips, permission slips, who needs to practice what. There have been a few times this year that I was positive I had already filled out a form for one of my girls because it felt like I had filled a million of them out already for the other two...but nope, I found that blank form, unsigned, in my kitchen.
- Decisions are WAY easier. No more "I want to watch this movie (or play this) but she wants to watch that movie (or play that)". Now there is ALWAYS a tiebreaker!
- The girls play sooo much better than before. A few years ago we got them a great, springfree trampoline. They played on it a bit, but not much just the two of them and usually only when their friends came over. I don't know what it is, but when you have three or more, the games are way more fun on the trampoline. They have invented a ton of games and are out there for hours each day.
- If one girl is away at a birthday party or playdate or something, the other one doesn't feel as left out and still has someone fun at home to play with. The same goes if someone wants to play on the trampoline and her sister doesn't. In the past, it would die right there. But now there's one more person for her to ask to join in...and more often than not one of the two is willing to go.
Well I agree with nearly all your points. And yes the most difficult years was when they were all under 5. But although you focused on having three children, I think thèy best and most fun part is having three daughters. I do love our girls nights. Doing nails. Going shopping. Their friendships with each other. Although I think mebis easygoing personality helps your girls dynamics more!!!!! Love b:)
ReplyDeleteWe went from one to three, which has been a big adjustment. I also became a mother to a daughter for the first time, which was an adjustment, too, though a very welcome one...it's lovely having a daughter...though I LOVE having boys too!
ReplyDeleteI find that I've become much less the entertainer (because with one child I was much more my boy's companion) and more of a conflict manager! My boys are 16 months apart and very similar in physical abilities, though extremely different in personality. Between the three of them, there are lots of squabbles but also lots of loving now. I love having three kids, though I can't (like you) say that our house is always full of peace and laughter and fun!
For sure, the bigger adjustment for us has been dealing with adoption-related issues and helping one of them deal with his rage and grief. I'm very, very glad that we're at THIS end of our first almost-year home.
Loved reading the post!!
R
Hi Ruth. Believe me, our house is not always filled with peace and I often feel like all I do is referee. I think we've just entered a good phase of spring and nice weather so maybe I just can't hear the fighting since they're outside a lot. :-) Life is filled with phases...some are good and some our tough and I'm just thankful to be in a good phase right now! Thanks for commenting! :-)
Deleteloved this post...have to say when i read the title i thought it was leading to 3 needed to be 4...hee hee.... great post.... i found 3a big transition as well.... but what would life be without a little chaos,
ReplyDeleteloving reading all your posts...
Joni