Anyway, before I took the yarn out I co-washed her hair in the tub, which made it super easy to take the yarn out and left the cutest little ringlets. Because it had just been conditioned quite well, I was able to leave the twistout for a few days (3?) .
After enjoying her hair down I bit the bullet and decided to try to really detangle it. What a nightmare! The fused parts took me forever to get out and I was terrified that I was causing breakage in trying to detangle. Plus, because she had her hair in twists for so long, the naturally shed hair finally had a chance to come loose...and although I knew it was just naturally shed hair I was freaked that she would go bald. :-)
Anyway, after about 1.5 hours of detangling, I finally finished. I clearly did not think it through properly because it was a Sunday and I had to still style her hair because I started work the next day...what a long day!
Here are a few pics of her twist-out:
Suuuuuper cute! We had exactly the same issues with taking down our yarn braids -- I'm glad you mentioned this, because I thought I'd done something wrong. The hair was almost matted at the base of the braids. Eventually I stuck her in a warm bath with a bunch of bubbles and toys, and just sat next to the tub and detangled for about an hour. It took GOBS of conditioner (and like you said, a ton of shed hair). I could go on and on, but wow, it was a doozie of a detangling session. We all loved the braids, though, and Z. is already begging for more... so I foresee another set in the near future. :)
ReplyDeleteWell I'm glad I'm not the only one! I don't know exactly why it happened this time and not last time...I may have used more product, or it could be because I styled it differently. Last time I used a different way to attach the yarn - I started out as braids and then turned into twists after a few stitches. This time I did twists all the way. Let me know if you figure out how to avoid it - it took me 1.5 hours of detangling while hanging over the bath tub. Needless to say my back was killing after that and then I had to follow it up with an hour long styling session. Not my smartest move!!
ReplyDeleteBut it looked SO good. Sigh. Why won't she wear her hair natural for school? It's adorable. I do not envy your hair woes but you are doing amazing!!! Love b:)
ReplyDelete