Wednesday, January 25, 2012

5 hours

Well, it took 5 hours (and a lot of that time I had my mom's help - thanks Mom!) but I finally finished her yarn twists.

A few things I did differently this time:
  • I determined the length I needed, then flipped a chair upside-down and wrapped the yarn over and over around the two chair legs which would gave me the right length. Then I simply cut each side and I was done. I'm not a crafty person so this is probably obvious to a lot of people, but wow it saved a lot of time this time around!
  • I used brown and black yarn - one of each in each side of the twist. Mebira's hair is a really dark brown and when I used just black last time you could totally see where her hair ended. I have been on an unending search for a perfect brown and thought it was close, but her hair changes colour a bit, too. At the tips it's much lighter and at the roots it's darker. I was a bit skeptical at first about mixing the yarn colours but I LOVE it. It gives the twists a more natural look and totally blends her hair colour in as her hair colour is right between the brown and black.
  • I made the twists a bit longer this time. It takes me forever to do this, and I don't know how people do them super long, but this length has got to be my limit!
  • I used a different way to anchor them this time. Last time I started with a braid and then switched to a twist, but I found they still slid a bit. This time I used a similar method to the one found on this blog here. So far things are staying in pretty well.
  • I used smaller boxes. This sounded like a good idea at first, but man it ended up taking forever. Plus, there really are a lot of twists now. I think it looks OK on her, but I wonder if I should maybe go with a bit less twists next time.
  • I still haven't figured out how to get the lengths right. Every time she tilted her hair a bit they ended up in different lengths. If anyone has a good trick on the lengths I'd love some tips!
OK, here are the pics...






2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I totally love these, great job! I debated using two colours of yarn, but decided against it. Now that I see Mebira's, I think we'll do that next time too!

    I think we both did yarn extensions on the same day, right? It will be interesting to see how the twists and braids compare in terms of longevity. Horray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love it! I can't believe how much older she looks! Lots of work but it was worth it!!! Love b:)

    ReplyDelete