Well, since things are going so great we thought we'd put Mebira in Kindergarten this fall. I'm not sure if we'll put her in just a few times a week, or every day, or if I'll stay with her sometimes or every day...we're totally just going to see how things go and play it by ear.
Mebira had her first day of school on Thursday. G started Grade 4, E started Grade 2, and Mebira started KG. It was a bit of a rigmarole getting them to their classes but thankfully Arvid was along to help. We went oldest to youngest, and Mebira was nearly jumping out of her skin to get to her class by the time it was her turn. (Actually, I should mention that she had been counting down the days...and the morning that school started she woke up at 7, immediately dressed and put her backpack on and tromped around the house. It was cute, but a bit early for my liking as our alarms hadn't even gone off yet :-) )
Anyway, G&E did awesome going to their classes, and same thing with Mebira. She was super excited but seemed to participate well. I stayed for the whole morning just to see how she would do. It's funny, because I thought her English was so good (and it is!) but we're used to the words she knows and generally stick with those. For example, we would tell her to get her sweater or jacket and put it on. Well, at one point the teacher asked her to put her hoodie on but she didn't seem to know what she was talking about. :-) In that way, I'm sure her vocabulary will improve quickly.
They do a staggered entry for KG here so she attended her first day with about 6 kids, and won't attend again until Wednesday. Again, we'll play it by ear and see how things go, but so far so good. She is thrilled to be a big girl like her sisters, and if she ends up not needing me much then I will love the break, but I will still have every afternoon to enjoy with her.
For now, we're loving the long weekend and the beautiful weather! I hope you all are, too!
This is so cool! So glad you are ahead of me in this process, as I am wondering if we bring home a school age girl, what we will do. Will we stay home longer to form attachment? Will she be desperate to go to school like her brothers? Unfortunately, this year both the K classes for English are full at my school, so if she comes home and is ready, she couldn't go anyway :( I would want her to go for social and language reasons, but not at the expense of attachment. I'm also interested because I teach Kindergarten, so I'd love to know how Mebira does! We went to full-day Kindergarten last year, but I see you are still half-days, which will probably be best for her. Keep us posted!!!!
ReplyDeleteClaire
I know she's going to do fabulous!, so excited to experience this all with you. Love b
ReplyDelete