Well, I'm finally here and will attach some pictures at the end...so keep reading...
What have we been up to? Here are some highlights:
- We had the girls' family birthday party. We love our family and are so blessed to be able to spend time together.
- Now that Mebira is doing so well at school I have decided not to stay with her anymore. I asked our adoption doctor about it, and she said if she's doing well then I should leave her so as to not create one more way in that Mebira is different from the other kids. I will start volunteering on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, but other moms will be helping out as well so she won't be singled out.
- We took the kids, along with my nephews, to the Corn Maze. It was so much fun - the kids took turns leading the way and they actually did pretty well. The place of Mebira's birth had a ton of corn fields, but somehow I don't think they would have had corn mazes there. :-)
- We attended a football game a few weeks ago - Mebira's first. The girls were troopers and stayed up super late that night. Thankfully it was so nice out (30ish) so we loved just sitting outside and enjoying the evening. The girls couldn't have cared less about the football game as long as we kept the snacks coming. Mebira tried cotton candy for the first time - and it was a hit!
- My good friend Sandy and I decided to try yarn twists on her daughter's hair last Thursday. Mebira really seemed to like them so I just HAD to try them out on her as she is so sad that she has short hair and she's DYING for long hair. I was going to wait a bit longer, but the style I did last week just wasn't staying in and we were going to an adoption get together on Saturday. Although I'm sure the adoption community would have been understanding, I didn't want to bring her looking all ratty. So on Friday night I spent at least 3 hours doing yarn twist after yarn twist. I managed to get half of her hair done, woke up the next morning and spent another 2-3 hours. I think it turned out pretty cute (and she loves it), but it ended up taking so long that we weren't able to get our other jobs, errands, etc. done so we had to miss the adoption get together completely. I was sad to miss out but really hope to go to the next one...and I'll plan ahead better next time!
- Now that Mebira is at school and I have at least 2 hours of "free" time each day, I am tackling projects at home. My life was totally out of balance for the last 2ish years, and my house shows it. I cringe every time I open a closet or a drawer...I just see chaos. I have started tackling closets (2 down, too many to go), and will work on drawers next. I really think that having an organized home will help me feel less stressed and more on top of things. That way I'll actually know where things are. The good thing is that I'm in a really unsentimental mood (unsentimental? that's probably not a word, but you know what I mean) so I am actually getting rid of things. And it feels SOOO good!
- We are going for family walks almost every night. Sometimes the kids walk, other times they scooter or ride bikes, but we are finally at the stage where we can walk super fast and actually get exercise. The girls have had so much fun crunching and jumping in the leaves. I feel pretty good about our family schedule at the moment. We used to drive from activity to activity, looking out our car window at other families outside and wonder where we went wrong. This year WE are the family who is outside and it's been great for all of us.
(Below) The girls came downstairs one morning all wearing these shirts. So cute!
(Below) The corn maze with my nephews, N&N. They are such great kids and are so sweet to their younger cousins.
(Below) Cotton candy TWICE that weekend. The first time at the football game, and the second time at our church picnic. Incidentally, I happen to LOVE cotton candy but was scared off by the calories and thought it must have at least 1000 calories in one of those big bags. I was so thrilled to see that each big bag only has about 150 calories. That's better than a can of coke! Needless to say I dove into my own cotton candy after that! :-)
(Below) A spontaneous stop on one of our nightly walks.
Ooh, what a nice post! Sounds like you're really settled in together -- very positive sounding.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE THE YARN BRAIDS. I have thought (vaguely) about trying them again on Z.... still undecided. But the short hair styles just don't stay in very long, and I'd love to get more than 4 days out of a style. Mebira's look great -- what yarn did you use?
Thanks, Gwen. You were my original inspiration with yarn twists. I definitely think you should try them again...hopefully they will last longer this time. :-)
ReplyDeleteI used 100% acrylic yarn from Wal-Mart. I believe it was the Happy Heart brand. It worked out great, but I may try Michael's next time as Wal-Mart only had black or brown and her colour is dark brown so the hair doesn't blend in. It doesn't bother me, though...it kind of looks neat having the two tones.
You know, looking at this post again today, I do think I'll try it again. We had the same problem with colour matching, but I wonder if it would look totally weird if I used half black yarn, half dark brown yarn?
ReplyDeleteThe OTHER issue was that last time, I made super long ones and it took me about 9 hrs. I didn't even think of making shorter ones, but Mebira's look so cute at that length. I think I'll try it... thanks for this post, I'm excited to try it again!
Hi Gwen. I've thought of the half black/half brown idea, too. I'd love to see it if you try it. I think it's fairly common to do...some people even do it with reddish yarn, too. Mebira is trying to convince me to use pink next time. :-)
ReplyDeleteI originally planned on making them longer, but then reality set in. I figured as long as I could put them in pigtails I was set. The back is a good chunk longer than the front so that it reaches...I figure it's like a layered look. :-)
You did such an amazing job on her hair! Well worth the effort. Thanks for the pics. I LOVE the ones of the girls in the leaves. Now since I am the one driving by you guys walking every night ( as I drive from activity to activity) I wonder... Where did I go wrong? Lol. Enjoy those walks before the minus thirty sets in. Oh wait, she LOVES the cold :) love b
ReplyDeleteWow! You've sure been busy! Love her hair...you did a great job! The pictures are all awesome. My girls have those same "big sister" shirts...super cute!
ReplyDeleteGreat photos!! I love the yarn extensions. I hope when I need advice, you can tell me how to do it!!!
ReplyDeleteClaire