We were there as a family on Friday afternoon, the kids were updating him on kids camp and the lrt ride, and although we knew he was going downhill, we didn't expect he would be gone just 4 days later. His breathing became quite laboured, and it was so hard to see him gasping for every breath yesterday. We are glad the end didn't drag out and that he was surrounded by family and friends. One of the sweetest things was to hear three of Dad's sisters sing hymn after hymn by his side. They sang so beautifully, and it was such a peaceful and comforting thing to do for him and for those of us who were too choked up to join in. I will treasure that memory and the love for him in that room.
As Christians, although we are sad to see him go, we know he is in a better place. He will no longer be in pain, immobile, unable to talk. Mebira's middle name is Hope. We named her that not only because we hoped for her, but as Christians, we celebrate that we have hope!! We know we will see him again and be reunited with him. One of my favourite songs is by Jeremy Camp - and it played yesterday on the radio. I've posted it once on my blog here. The words are just so amazing..."There will be a day with no more tears!!"...and I can't wait for that day!
Arvid's dad was a very amazing man. He went through a lot of hardship in his life, losing his parents at a young age, then losing his wife (Arvid's mom) to a brain aneurysm about 16 years ago. Through it all, he maintained such a positive attitude, faith in God and easy going spirit. He wasn't anyone who craved the limelight but loved to serve and help in behind the scenes. I think Arvid is a lot like his Dad...and if he continues to follow in his footsteps then I am a very lucky woman.
I've attached a picture of him from before. Right now it hurts to look at this picture, to remember how things were and to reconcile that with how we saw him yesterday, but we know that we will soon be able to look back at this picture and celebrate the man we all knew and loved.
I'm so sorry to hear this. Our prayers are with you all!
ReplyDeleteOh I am so sorry to hear this, praying for your family today. How beautiful that hymns were sung at his bedside, that is truly a Holy moment. Praying for strength.
ReplyDeleteAnita my thoughts and prayers are with you all right now..it is so hard to sayngoodbye. What a beautifulmthing that must have been for him. Tombe sung Home. Praying for each of you, and so sorrynfor your loss. Darci
ReplyDeleteDear Anita, our prayers are with your family. May God comfort your heart.
ReplyDeleteWith deep sympathies. Naomi xxx
I'm so sorry Anita. Thank God that He has given us new life in Him! I'll pray that you will feel peaceful and secure in knowing Arvid's dad is now living, really living completely well and perfectly happy with God.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, ~Liesl
Anita, Arvid, I'm so sorry for your loss...that's so hard, for you and for the kids. I hope the next number of days and weeks pass ok as you plan and grieve.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Anita, and my sympathies.
Ruth xx
Wishing you happy memories and peace in your hearts.
ReplyDeleteI know you will find strength in your faith to pull you through.
So much love to you all. B:)
I'm so sorry to hear of this. Your family has been through so much in such a short time. I am really glad that he was able to meet Mebira and that you know that you will see him again someday in Heaven. That hope is everything. But it does not eliminate the grieving. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
ReplyDelete