We've had an eventful week and haven't gotten around to posting - G&E finished school, we celebrated Mebira's first Canada Day and also celebrated her 5th birthday.
Last Monday, Mebira was invited to a birthday party with her sisters and she was able to observe a party in action. It was actually her birthday that day, but we didn't acknowledge it that day at all as we wanted to observe her in a birthday party and see what she thought. She did very well and seemed to understand that the birthday girl was special and got gifts and a cake. Once that was done, we started prepping her for her birthday. Birthdays in Ethiopia aren't a big deal at all, and some of the people we spoke to didn't know how old they were...so we spent the week telling Mebira she was 4 years old and would be 5 on Sunday (the day of her party).
G&E finished school on Wednesday. I was relieved not to have to rush anywhere anymore, and to just be free (and yes, sleep in!). I was also a bit nervous about the drama of having all 3 home all day by myself. Thursday was a brutal day - the kids were fighting and needy and difficult all day. I was ready to sign them up for school again! Thankfully, Friday went much better and I started thinking it might not be so bad after all. Of course, it was Canada Day and Arvid was home to help! We told Mebira it was Canada's Birthday, and we all had either white or red Canada shirts on. I wish we would have gotten a family picture...it just didn't happen. We visited Arvid's dad at the hospital (he is stable but the recovery is a very slow process) then went to the Legislature and waved our flags and looked around.
On Sunday we had Mebira's birthday party. She loves princesses so we decorated the kitchen with some princess things and had presents waiting for her in the morning. In the afternoon we had our immediate family over for cake. With only our immediate family there were 9 kids so it was great fun for her! She got lots of Barbie stuff and immediately got to work setting it up.
Today we were back at home again...but the girls did pretty well. I had one major meltdown with Mebira (probably the biggest one yet) that lasted about 10 minutes but after that she was adorably cute again. One moment I'm thinking that summer is the best thing ever and I never want to put them in school again, and then next minute I'm climbing the walls wishing I could just have 5 minutes of peace! :-)
Anyway, we got some cute pictures over the last few days...I'll post them soon.
OK, so I got stuck on one sentence you wrote - Mebira's worst tantrum was 10 minutes long????!!! What am I doing wrong - our little guy's tantrums last 30 minutes to several HOURS...most often on the longer side of the spectrum!
ReplyDeleteYikes.
ANyway, I'm glad things are going well, Anita!
Blessings,
Ruth
Hi Ruth - I know. I felt bad posting that when I know so many people struggle with more. The first week she had many tantrums, mostly short. Today was the most vocal and aggressive one on her part..thankfully it was over after only about 10 minutes but it felt like 40!
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting - I think of you often!
Anita
Anita this is the first time I have been on your blog and your girls are beautiful. They really look like they belong together and have always been together. Well they have in spirit.
ReplyDeleteHappy First Canada Day and 5th Birthday Mebira!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sidney. I'm happy you checked out the blog and that you posted! Yes, we're so thrilled to finally be together at last!
ReplyDeleteAnita
Thanks, Sharla. Happy Canada Day to you, too. So glad you were able to get out and about again!
ReplyDeleteAnita