Well, it's official. We heard rumors of it, but the US state department has confirmed it. MOWA (the ministry who needs to approve each adoption case before it is official) has decided to reduce the number of adoptions it is approving to 5 each day, effective March 10. This is a reduction of up to 90%. See more info here: http://adoption.state.gov/news/ethiopia_alert.html
What does that have to do with us? We're not entirely sure, but I can assure you that I am pretty apprehensive. There were 3 other Canadian families who did not pass court with us the first time, and we all had our next court hearing rescheduled to March 21st. (No, we do not have to go to Ethiopia for this - our adoption agency handles any subsequent court dates for us). So there are already 4 on that date, and I'm aware of at least 1 other American family...so that's already 5, and who knows how many others? If they only approve 5 each day, there is a definite chance that we won't all be approved.
The other concern is that if we're not approved then we'll need another court date. Seeing as the second court date was 5.5 weeks after the first one under "normal" circumstances, this change could mean our next court date (if we need another one) could be very far away.
I'm trying not to worry, but I can't help it just a little bit. I am tired of the roller coaster. Things were looking so good there, for a while. Right now I feel disheartened, frustrated and done! I just want this up and down to end...I just want to bring her home.
I have to admit that I also wonder how often God intervenes. I know He has a plan, that He was aware of this before it happened, that He can turn even this to good...but I'm a planner, a Type A personality, and this is not how I would have planned it at all. :-) And it's so hard to see right now how this can be for good. As Arvid has pointed out to me, people still have free will on this earth and God won't dictate our every move...so sometimes things go differently than we hope or pray. I do appreciate all of the prayers right now that we would pass court on March 21st, but I can't claim any outcome that I want. What I can claim, is that God will be with us and help us through this - so after you're done praying for court, we'd appreciate a prayer of peace and contentment for us and the other 3 families who are waiting.
I'm so sorry, Anita :(
ReplyDeleteThis is awful all around. I can't stop crying today.
Claire
Dearest daughter, how hard this is. We are all awaiting this new addition to our family. What good can come out of waiting?!
ReplyDeleteGod's sovereignty is what he has been teaching me over and over. This week in Isaiah I read:- In the time of my favor I will answer you and in the day of salvation I will help you.
- He who has compassion on them will help them and lead them beside springs of water.
- Those who hope in me will not be disappointed.
- I will not forget you. See, I have engraved you in the palms of my hand. (What a special thought on this first day of Lent, when we remember His suffering and our own becomes much less significant!)
I'm praying for you,
mom
Anita,
ReplyDeletePlease do not give up hoping! Yes, there is the reality that things may not go as wished for on the 21st, but there is also the reality that they may! We were NOT expecting to pass the last one, really, I was not optimistic at all. Even Jo Ann told me after we passed, that they didn't think it would happen either...you just don't know how MOWA is approaching this whole thing. We are most definitely praying for you and Arvid, and your THREE girls, and will continue to pray, no matter the outcome!
So hard
ReplyDeleteI am thinking of you all
Shannon
Anita, This is my favorite poem. I hope it helps you to remember that although the path you are on is not the easy one, it is the one that you will look back on someday as the one that made all the difference in your life! Love you b
ReplyDeleteThe Path Not Taken by Robert Frost
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
I know this is scary.
ReplyDeleteBut there is hope for the 21st!
We had 5 court dates and finally passed in January. There were days I thought it would never happen.
But it DID.
And it WILL for you too.
I will be praying for & thinking about you and the other families that have court dates coming up.
Alicia in NL
praying for you today..for peace. And of course for good good news on the 21st. darci
ReplyDeleteThanks Claire, Mom, Flora, Shannon, Brandi, Alicia and Darci for your comments and support. It means a lot!
ReplyDelete