Sunday, November 4, 2012

A new phase

A few months ago I remembered saying that I wish I could pause life right where it was.  Things have definitely changed...iff I had a remote control now, I think I would either rewind or speed ahead a bit.  Unfortunately, I can't do that...so I'll try to make the best of where I am now.

I'm not sure exactly what has happened over the last few months, but it feels like family life has changed a lot.  We are making quite a bit of headway with our child suffering from anxiety, but the drama and emotional turmoil is something we still need to work through every. single. night.

The part that I'm most unsure of is the attachment issues with Mebira.  It has me second guessing absolutely everything right now.  Last year felt like a perfect balance...school in the morning to help her socialize, and learn English faster, and the afternoons with me to help with bonding, attachment, etc.  However, because she was in the system already and Kindergarten was done, Grade 1 was the next logical step this year.  She has handled the transition easier than any of our bio girls - she can handle a ton of activity and loves school.  BUT, I can't help but wonder if school is the reason why we are having some issues now.  She is at school all day, although I do try to get the girls for lunch 2-3 times a week.  After school, we do have some activities, although not a ton, but when we are home she is often colouring or playing Barbies with Elizabeth.  I love to see them play together, but that one-on-one time that I used to have with her is not existent. 

I can't even put my finger on exactly what is different.  At home she is pretty much the same...happy, pretty affectionate, easy going.  The main difference is when we are out now.  She is REALLY struggling with being the only one who looks different in our family.  She is embarrassed to acknowledge me at school, or at tae kwon do, or when we are out shopping.  Last year she seemed oblivious to this, or was more worried about fitting in with our family.  Since the start of grade 1 she is really worried about what other people might think or say...maybe I can hope that it is because she feels comfortable with us now and is moving on to worrying about other people... 

Last week I decided to take Mebira out of school in the afternoon and have a special date with her.  I could theoretically do this in the evening, but then I am taking away from family time, or I am then setting myself up for dates with different kids each night.  Anyway, on our date we stopped at the dollar store.  She spontaneously gave me a big hug in the store (which I loved as it's getting more and more rare in public).  Right after she did this, she seemed so embarrassed and she immediately put her hood of her sweater on, and then the hood of her jacket on top.  I asked her why she did this, and she said it was because she didn't want people to know that she had different skin from me.

Poor girl - I feel so bad for her.  It must be so tough to feel different all the time.  Yesterday I had a fun afternoon shopping with my bio girls G and E...and even I noticed how "normal" we looked.  It was nice to just be anonymous and not stick out...and I can't imagine how much harder it is for Mebira to feel like she is different all the time.  We go to a pretty ethnically diverse school (but she is the only adopted one in her class), there are other adoptive families at church, we do amharic language lessons once a month with lots of other adoptive families...but maybe there is more we should be doing.  Or maybe it's just a phase where she is determining her identity.

We had originally wanted siblings...and I can't help wondering if it would have been "easier" for her to have had a sibling.  Aside from adopting again, do any of my adoptive peeps have any words of wisdom for me?

9 comments:

  1. Oh Anita! My heart hurts for you. I hope Lydia and I did not cut your date short on Friday. I wish I had advice but all I can say is that I think Mebira is wonderful and that she always seems to fit so well with our family. As for the drama, I think it must be a girl thing which I am not looking forward to. Try not to over think things. You're a wonderful mom to all three girls! Let's have a "play date" again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura. Thanks for your encouragement. She's totally fine around people she's comfortable with...it's mostly in situations where there are people who she doesn't know, like in public or at school, that she starts acting differently.

      Don't worry, you didn't cut our date short and we loved the visit with both of you!

      Delete
  2. Anita, It sounds like Mebira is very bright and is hitting some normal identity issues a little earlier than most. It is not an attachment issue; you are right that it is related to identity development. There is nothing inherently wrong with her realizing that she looks different than her family... she's just at that point earlier than many kids adopted transracially.

    It sounds like you are doing many of the right things. It is hard to condense this topic into a blog comment. I'm happy to chat about it more by email or on the Yahoo group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy. I'd love to chat more with you. I think I will probably start a thread on the yahoo group...I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gone through this. I feel honored you are even reading this blog...you should be in the Ethiopian adoption hall of fame. :-)

      Delete
  3. I'm going to think about this more Anita, but the first part of me is wondering whether you could keep her home 1-2 days/week from school, to build attachment further with her. I think there are very lenient policies within the school system to allow kids not to attend without any notes, etc.(something like 70 days or something??) Maybe you could talk with her teacher about the issues and have work sent home that she could work on with you.

    I have no idea if this is possible given the rest of your lives, but it's the first thing that came to mind...likely because I know a family in Alberta that is doing this with their 11-year-old right now.

    Another thing that comes to mind is whether it's possible to do 'dates' with Mebira where there are no/few people around; I'm wondering if that would hep her to build attachment with you in a way that doesn't feel so conspicuous to her. Eg. hiking (which I know you guys love), an afternoon movie matinee during the week where you could hold hands in the dark theatre and there will be few people around (and sit in the back row), taking a picnic somewhere and eating it in the front seat of the car together (parked, obviously!) if it's too cold outside, taking a drive somewhere far away so that you have time to talk (and take snacks along because, at least in our home, popcorn makes my kids talk!!), bundling up and sitting out in the backyard with a cup of hot chocolate....

    Could you plan any playdates with adoptive families in your church so that she can see transracial families normalized??

    I'm so sorry to hear that things have changed Anita, and that it's harder now. I know that this particular issue has been easier for us because we brought sibs home (and both of my kids have independently told me that they're very glad there is more than one brown-skinned person in our family) and I get that another adoption might not be on your radar screen.

    OK, gotta run...will be praying for you all...and thinking of you!!

    Blessings and hugs,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth. I did expect this to happen at some point...I guess I was just surprised how fast it changed and thought it might happen when she was a bit older. I appreciate all of your advice and will definitely try some of that out! Oh, how I wish you lived closer!! Any chance you can get Geoff to get transferred out here? :-)

      Delete
  4. Don't have any words of advice at all, but I wanted to drop a quick little note to let you know I'm thinking about you, and big hugs! It's hard on Mebira, but also soooo hard on you! I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you! So I'm a month late to the event:( but that's just my life right now I guess

    Praying for you and your family this morning as I read this. Would love to
    see you guys. Darc

    ReplyDelete