Wow, I sure have been slacking in the blog department, haven't I? I have been fully embracing this summer...and sitting inside facing a computer hasn't been on my top 100 things to do. Seriously, I LOVE summer. We've had amazing heat which is awesome, and I've been able to sleep in until 8:30ish most days which makes any day a good day, and things have just been really fun!
I should probably have a separate post for a lot of these, but that would probably take me until Christmas at this rate...I'll give you the coles notes version instead.
What have we been up to in the last month? Here are some pics...
 |
| We celebrated "Family/Mother's/Father's Day" Mebira had been home with us for a year, and it happened to fall right in between Mother's Day and Father's Day. We wanted to celebrate being a family of 5 for a year, and celebrate her birth parents as well...but the timing of everything was crazy so we thought we'd wrap them into one and call it "Family Day". We put out one candle to signify that we had been a family of 5 for one year, and we said some special thoughts to acknowledge appreciation for Mebira's birth parents. |
 |
| We visited with an online friend of mine. We "met" online through the adoption process and were able to officially meet in Ethiopia when we attended court. Her two children were in the transition home at the same time as Mebira, and Mebira was thrilled that they were making a road trip and would be able to come see us. It was such a nice visit - I could have chatted with her for days, and it was so great to see the kids reunite here in Canada. |
 |
| The three friends, reunited again in Canada. |
 |
| We went camping in Radium with 4 other families. We had some heat, and some rain and overall a ton of fun! |
 |
| Here we are enjoying the Canada Day parade in Invermere. The kids love it, because they throw out candy to the kids! :-) |
 |
| We took in some Canada Day crafts down at the beach. |
 |
| Pretty cute craft idea! Pretty cute kids, too. :-) |
 |
| There's nothing like a pancake breakfast when you're camping! |
 |
| And what could be better than having the kids wash up after? |
 |
| Mebira had our family birthday (just the 5 of us) and she picked her favourite supper - tortellini. We then had a family supper with my side of the family, followed by her friend party. Seriously...these birthday parties take their toll on me. I'm not a party planner type of girl...with 3 kids, and 3 parties each that's 9 parties a year. Does anyone else feel my pain?.....On another note, you may notice her bracelet. When we were in Ethiopia I bought a whole bunch of special things from there. Each year on her birthday I give her one or two special items from Ethiopia. This year she got a pretty Ethiopian scarf, and this bracelet and she really seemed to appreciate both...and the Barbie RV we got her. :-) |
|
 |
| Her gymnastics party with friends. |
 |
| We soaked up the heat. This is seriously one of the nicest summers I remember. Even Mebira is complaining it is too hot! |
 |
| The girls decided to have a crazy dress-up day. Clearly they get this from the other side of the family. :-) |
 |
| We took out her hair extensions. Oh, this deserves a post to itself but I might cry. The braids didn't take too long to get out...only about 2 hours. However, you may or may not remember that when I took her yarn braids out the last time I had huge matting issues at the base of each braid. Well, that was nothing compared to this time. I had left these braids in for 8.5 weeks, and absolutely loved how cute it looked when the braids were out. HOWEVER, I had HUGE, I mean HUUUUUGE matting issues again. It's like I had an impossibly twisted knot of shed hair at the base of each braid. So I took the braids out and left it for a few days like in this picture. Then I decided to bite the bullet and fully detangle and it took me over FIVE hours straight! It was so bad I actually had to cut some knots out, and the shed hair (although I think it's normal) totally stressed me out when you get gobs of it in your comb. Anyway, I have no idea if I'll do it again. I LOVED the low maintenance of extensions, but maybe I just need to take them out sooner? If you have any tips I would love to hear them. |
 |
| Mebira has a thing for bangs. She loves bangs on people and has told me so many times that she wants bangs when she is a mom. We were very happy to take her braids out and realize that she could actually have bangs for a bit. :-) We are such strange beings, aren't we? We always want what we can't have! |
Anyway, that will do it for today. I hope you're having an equally fun summer!
Such great pictures. And I don't blame you for not posting sooner. If every summer were like this we wouldn't need vacations. Too bad about the problems with mebi's hair after the extensions came out. Hopefully you'll find another low maintenance alternative. Love love love her hair down and natural. Funny how the grass is always greener. Enjoy the rest of the summer. Love b:)
ReplyDeleteI love the photos. Tesfanesh wears her hair in braids with extensions. We usually leave them in for 6 weeks or so. I have never had a big problem with matting. Our hairdresser has suggested that we should get them removed by them to avoid those kinds of problems. I haven't just because of timing issues. You might want to try that if you put them in again.
ReplyDelete