Twelve years later, I am a very happily married woman. We have had some bumps in our marriage for sure, but it has been the easiest relationship in my life - mostly due to the fact that Arvid is incredibly easy going and easy to please. We have been blessed with two beautiful biological girls, and our amazing girl from Ethiopia.
We had a fun family night on Friday night - we thought it would be fun to celebrate a few things at once...Mebira honoured me on Mother's Day and is busy preparing for Father's Day at school...we wanted to find a day to also acknowledge her birth parents, as well as celebrate that she has been with us for one year. So we had our family's favourite supper (cobb salad), baked a chocolate cake, said a few words of thanks about Mebira's Wolayta Mom and Wolayta Dad and sang "Happy Family Day to us". Then we spent the evening watching the first few moments when we met Mebira, followed by watching our wedding video.
What amazed me the most was to see how many people have passed away since that time. A lot can change in 12 years. However, with those sad moments watching those who are no longer with us we also had some fun moments. We had an especially good time watching my adorable niece and nephew walk down the aisle - boy were they cute! It was also heartwarming to hear the toast to the bride from my brother Ron, hear him sing a song, hear both of my brother's play their violin and cello, and listen to the speeches from my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. We laughed at our slide show, as well as how cheesy the wedding video was - technology has changed a lot in 12 years, too.
Yes, we were younger, yes we had new, young love, but I am just as in love with my husband now as I was back then. Actually, what am I thinking...I love my husband more now than ever. I have come to learn so much more about him and appreciate his many amazing qualities. He is hard working, smart, generous, easy to talk to, non judgmental, easy going, positive, God honouring, loving, and the thing I appreciate the most is that he is still my best friend. We went from lab partners at University to partners for life. I am truly blessed.
| Happy Family Day to us! |
![]() |
| This was us then...12 years ago! Sadly, I don't think anyone had digital cameras way back then...I scanned these in today instead. |
![]() |
| We took pictures at the University - where we first met, became best friends and fell in love |
| Excuse the hair - I had just gotten back from an 8k run. :-) Don't I have a good husband to humor me with this? And he was even hangry at the time (grumpiness brought on by hunger). :-) |


Happy Anniversary Anita.... loved looking at your photos... Gosh you could be on the cover of a bridal magazine... One beautiful woman.. inside and out.... =D much to celebrate in your household... sounds like you guys had so much fun doing so..... <3 Again Congrats on hitting the 12... blessing and richness on many more to come xoxoxoox
ReplyDeleteJoni
You are too kind. :-) Thanks - with divorces in our age group being more common than weddings these days I really do feel blessed to be married to my best friend.
DeleteHow is it possible that you can look as amazing today as you did at 23?!? You gorgeous woman. And do not forget that the success of your marriage is also due to your incredible selflessness for your husband and family. Your marriage is truly something I admire. Congratulations on 12 amazing years. I know there are many many more to come. Love u!!b
ReplyDeleteYou are such a sweet friend! Thanks for your vote of confidence, although I have to say that I definitely noticed while watching our wedding video that we had aged! :-)
DeleteMy relationship with you reminds me a lot of mine with Arvid (except for some more obvious parts...ahem)...it's easy and fun! I'm blessed to have you in my life.
Oh gosh I LOVE your wedding hair!!!! I'm not a hair person... but even I can see that you had the best wedding hair EVER. Wow.
ReplyDeleteAlso am totally impressed that you can fit into your wedding dress, even if it's tight on the ribs. I tried on my wedding dress about 1.5 years ago and literally, not kidding, couldn't fit my forearm into the 3/4 length sleeves. True, it was at the height of my mammoth adoption-weight gain, but still!
Happy anniversary to both of you! I love hearing about happy marriages...we need more of them in this world. :)
Well, I didn't exactly take pictures from the back...I couldn't zip that puppy up to the top no matter how much I tried. :-)
DeleteI understand about the adoption weight gain...I think it has taken me longer to lose those extra pounds than it did to lose weight after giving birth!! Nice to hear from you, Gwen! All the best to you, Mr. Gwen and the kids!