I should have documented the exact happenings of that day...it's amazing how some details fade. I remember being at work all day, it was a Monday, and coming home and checking the messages. My heart jumped when I heard a message from our adoption agency, asking us to call them, but I didn't want to assume anything and be disappointed. I immediately called K from CAS, and she informed me that we had a little 4.25 year old girl! I couldn't believe it. I was shaking and in total shock.
I remember trying to call Arvid. He was having an important discussion in his office so he didn't answer his phone. I called his cell, then office phone, then cell, then office phone, repeat. FINALLY he answered and then I couldn't speak because I was crying too much! I finally go the word out and we were both so excited.
That evening, we took the girls to swimming lessons and my parents met us there. We had told them the good news and it was so fun to talk about it with them. Later that evening K from CAS came over and showed us the pictures and gave us all of the documentation that she was given. There's actually quite a bit of stuff that you get - details on history, medical and lab reports, intake reports with all of the various government signatures, birth and death certificates, you name it. We also received three precious pictures and I couldn't help but keep staring at them over and over again.
We decided not to tell the girls until our consult with the International Adoption doctor. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get that consult until Friday evening and it nearly killed me to wait that long. We had a good 1.5-2 hour phone conversation with her, gave our final consent and then came out to tell the girls. We had taken the pictures of Mebira and given each of the girls their own photo album with the pictures inside. We also gave them a nice card. After that we went to Montana's and celebrated!
And here we are, a year later. SO much has changed in that year. We've welcomed Mebira and said good-bye to Arvid's dad. We've gotten to know the beautiful girl from the picture and have grown to love her like she's always been here. We've had family dynamics change, but have started to adjust to the new normal.
Above all, we are so thankful to have this amazing family. What a blessing each and every person is to me!
Here is a picture from then:
And now:
I too remember that day! It feels like mebi has always been a part of your family. The changes in the photos is incredible. The best part is the twinkle in her eyes and the true joy in her smile. Imagine what the rest of the years will bring for all of you. Love b:)
ReplyDeleteWow, what a lot of water under the bridge! :) I think I actually had Mebira's referral picture printed out and tucked away in my suitcase, so I could be on the lookout for her when we went to the orphanage to meet our own kids. I was looking for several referred children that day, but I guess my head must have been spinning, because I didn't recognize a single one of them. :(
ReplyDeleteAnyway.... you've come a long way, baby. :) M. is looking so healthy and so happy now. What a great post!
Wow, what a change! Mostly I can just see the joy in her face now! What a beautiful girl!
ReplyDeleteThanks, everyone.
ReplyDeleteGwen, that's so sweet - I didn't know you did that. And don't feel bad - when we first met her in the orphanage I didn't know which one she was. She had changed so much already from her referral picture. MAN, I wish we lived closer!!!
November 22 was a big day for lots of us! So amazing to see the then and now... M looks so happy and healthy. Happy referralversary! A
ReplyDeleteLook at the joy in her eyes now! Such a change!
ReplyDeleteYes - that day was huge. There were so many referrals at that time! Do you have a blog, Andrea?
ReplyDeleteYay for one year anniversaries!!!! We're celebrating ours today, too!!!!
ReplyDeleteMebira looks GREAT. And I keep meaning to tell you that I have thought for a LONG time already that I think she actually looks like you!! What do you have to say about that??!
Blessings, and congrats Anita!
Ruth
Ha! That is funny. I haven't quite heard it like that before...just that there are similarities among all of us. I will take it as a compliment as I think she's beautiful. Thanks! :-)
ReplyDeleteAnita
It's amazing how much healthier she looks now! I loved hearing the story of when you first got your referral.
ReplyDelete