I am not a lover of Halloween. I started writing this post on my soapbox, talking about all the things I don't like about Halloween. However, I think I will let that go and not bore you with my thoughts. It has been a bit eye opening to have a child from another country experience Halloween for the first time. It was hard to go in some stores as the displays are downright gory and evil and poor Mebira got spooked by some of them. I honestly don't know why we think it's normal or OK to have some of that stuff on display...but I digress. All I know is that when November 1st comes around it is like a breath of fresh air. The often evil, gory and yucky displays are gone and CHRISTMAS is in the air!
We leave it up to our kids each year if they would like to participate in Halloween festivities or not. Of course we love pumpkins, fall leaves and candy so Halloween isn't all bad. But if they don't want to participate I certainly don't feel the need to encourage participation - especially because I dread thinking of costumes! G and E opted out of their school Halloween parties so we had a girls shopping afternoon and went for coffee and snacks. Last year they decided not to go trick or treating but this year E wanted to take Mebira out (with dad) to show her what it was like.
In the evening, G stayed home with me and did a great job of handing out candy...she took her job quite seriously. E and M had a great time and although they were only gone for less than an hour we still have way too much candy in our house!
Anyway, here are a few pics of them:
(Below) E and M all bundled up and ready to go. Turns out they were a little too bundled up - E's hair was almost soaking wet when she got back!

(Below) You can tell they were on a mission - quick in, quick out.

(Below) Sadly, this is probably only half of the candy...we got way too much! Our school is collecting candy donations for some charities and I think we'll have to get rid of a bunch. I'll smuggle some of it in sometime when I'm going to pick up the girls. :-)
It looks like the kids had a blast. And don't forget to pull out a small mom stash of candy before you donate it! Then you can enjoy a kitkat while you decorate the tree and hum to Michael buble. (and complain about the cold!!!). Love b:)
ReplyDelete